Thread: Streamer rod?

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by jszymczyk View Post
    why don't you try it and see?

In many ways I am blessed to have learned, as a child, to fly fish and fish in general, with modest means. I had one hand-me-down fly rod for trout, bass, and panfish... if I was fishing nymphs or wet flies, or fishing dry flies, or poppers, or streamers, I did it with that rod. For quite a few years that was it. I adjusted my techniques to fit what I was doing. I caught lots of fish and learned a lot. I'm happy I didn't have people telling me I "needed" different equipment for every style of fishing, because if that was true, I probably would not have kept at it.
    So true. I started fly fishing with a small collection of used rods and reels gathered here and there; in fact I had a little story about it published here a while back. Then I fell into the "gotta have a rod in every weight and for every use" trap. Am I sorry I have them? Not necessarily, but I find I end up using the same two or three rods all the time, and has the "newer and better" made me catch anymore fish? Nah.
    Last edited by Prairieschooner; 10-30-2015 at 04:58 PM.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis