Thread: Uh oh...

Threaded View

Default Uh oh...

Went back to the urban lake where a few weeks ago I fell and racked my shin pretty badly. It's a series of connected ponds that winds between a hospital and a medical clinic. I'd been fishing for about an hour I guess and had just pulled out and released a really nice bluegill when I sensed someone behind me. "Nice fish," he said. "Thanks," I said, and when I turned around I noticed he was wearing a uniform and a badge. Uh oh, I thought. "I'm a security guard over at the hospital," he said, "And they really don't want you fishing here."

I apologized, said I wasn't really surprised, but since there were no signs posted I though maybe it was OK. "I just live over there a ways," I said, pointing over my shoulder. He said he really didn't know why they minded as long as people didn't make a mess or cause trouble, but that they had a security camera set up and he saw me and figured he better come out. "I used to hunt here," he said, "Before all this was built up." I said I remembered, and that I'd lived here for 35 years and knew what it used to be like. He said he remembered the day when there was a farm pond at the end of every two-lane dirt road, and you just went and fished them; nobody cared, you didn't need permission or anything like that.

He said, "I'm just an old guy with a part time job; I really don't have any authority, but they do review the tapes sometimes and if I didn't talk with you I'd be in trouble. I'll tell them you're a local fella that I've seen around and a real nice guy, and that when I talked to you you just moved on." I got ready to pick up my gear and head out. Then he said, "If you move up to the north end the camera can't see you. I work every Saturday and Sunday and you won't have any trouble from me. Have fun and good luck!" and he headed back to the hospital.
    Last edited by Prairieschooner; 10-26-2015 at 10:23 PM.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis