+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furling

Hybrid View

Default Furling

Do you twist the two legs seperately, and then hang them together with weights to allow to furl together, or do you twist the two legs seperately and then put the legs together on a drill in reverse to furl them together? Also do you have any suggestionsto make transferring loop ends easier?

I used to use the weight as in your first description. This uses the energy stored in the twisted legs to let the leader furl naturally (all of the stored energy, and only the stored energy, will be used).
    I have a barrel swivel attached to a short dowel. I hook a paper clip over the tippet end of the leader and the swivel. Keeping tension on the leader I lift it off the peg, hold it about shoulder height and ease off the tension. The legs will furl together very quickly and a few tugs on the leader will let it finish. I use paper clips to preserve the end loops and hang the leader for a few minutes to let it relax before doing the Shorb loops.

I use a large needle to pick up the loops from the hook or paper clip. With both loops on the needle, I use it to pull my nit picker thru the loops and complete my shorb loop. Obviously its a larger needle with a large eye which will accept the hook of the nit picker. With looser loops, you can just use the nitpicker to gather the loops. Some people are inserting a small loop (1-2 inch diameter) of backing into the loop prior to twisting or furling then use that loop to pull the nitpicker thru.

Two legs are independently twisted on a drill and then brought together to "untwist" while suspended with weights. Kathy Scott suggests twisting the two legs with a drill to about a 10% reduction in length. I found that to be a good rule of thumb.

You can do it either way you describe and there are other ways.
    Here is a picture of what Jack is describing...an idea I got from him.

And here is a picture of the needle and nitpicker idea...also note the safety pins without the coil that I use in the place of paper clips..for me the point is better and also when locked more secure.

Thanks guys. I am still struggling some with losing the furled thread loops before i can get a shorb in. The safety pins may help as i have had paper clips slip out. i also don't think i was twisting each leg long enough. i may not end up being a hard core furler but it has been a fun learning experience. i really appreciate all the help

+ Reply to Thread