+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preferred Head Cement

A while back my local shop ran out of Dave's Fleximent so I went with their suggestion and bought an alternative -Griff's Thin Fly Tying Multi Coat High Gloss. I don't have to constantly thin it out like other head cements.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

TyroneFly, Great stuff isn't it. I have never had a Head Cement that penatrates like it.

I guess I'm old fashioned, or maybe cheap. I use plain old Lacquer.

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:cba80]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:cba80]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I use any "cheapo" nail polish that will get the job done. But I only use cement for wets and streamers. For Dries and emergers I use a whip finish.
    -Fly_Fisher_12

Pats Man,

I have to say it really is great stuff. Much easier to apply compared to Dave's Fleximent.

My local shop no longer carries Griff's Thin Fly Tying Multi Coat High Gloss. While I have enough left to last me a couple of months, do you know of a source I can contact to buy it when I need more?

Thanks.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I know these people carry it. [url=http://www.bearlodgeangler.com/wax_glue_markers.htm:7f669]http://www.bearlodgeangler.com/wax_glue_markers.htm[/url:7f669]

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Ice,

I used Herter's cement for years starting in the late 1950's. I still like the smell of the Herter's brand because I associate it with relaxing fly tying sessions.

My current cement varies depending on the job requirements but for the most part I have used Fly Tite for the last couple of years. It requires much less thinning than most cememts and thins nicely with denatured alcohol. It contains no harmful fumes and dries quickly.

I also use Sally Hanson for glassy looking streamer heads. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

I picked up a bottle of Hard as Hull last year in NC while on vacation. I have to say it has rapidly become my favorite. With one drop it penetrates the thread and another drop gives the head a smooth shiney surface.

Ben

Loons Head Finish for me. Plus, the company is completely customer-oriented. When my cap started breaking due to my use of pliers (yes, I got cement on the threads), I called to buy a replacement.
    They sent me a cap free of charge and another bottle of head cement. That goes a long way in my book. They sent me a few dollars worth of stuff, but I'll spend lots more on them. Good investment on their part and one satisfied customer on my part!

------------------
    Elliott W.

I tie flies to give the fish something to laugh about.

[This message has been edited by ilmbaba (edited 24 February 2005).]
    Elliott

I tie flies so the fish have something to laugh about!

For finishing the heads on my wet flies I use Griff's thin, Griff's Thick & black Pro-laq. Only the best finish will due on the Bergman Flies.

+ Reply to Thread