+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 piece vs 2 piece rods

Default 4 piece vs 2 piece rods

Several years ago I read Castwell's article "Stop the Rod" and have been doing that since. I just broke my second rod just below the ferrule (2 piece rods) while casting. One was an 8wt & the other was a 7wt.

My question is does a 4 piece rod distribute the force better than a 2 piece?

I don't believe anyone is strong enough to break a properly assembled rod that way by casting. Had the tip slid forward? Do you wax your ferrules at least one a year?
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Blog Entries

There are many possible reasons for the rods breaking and without knowing anything about the rods that really can't be addressed, but then that was not your question.

One of the reasons for two piece graphite rods, when they first started making them, was to cut down on the number of ferrules as that is a weak point on rods. But, the companies have greatly increased the strength of the fittings and now the 4 or 5 or 6 piece rods are just as strong at the ferrules and do no negatively impact the performance of the cast.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I would "think" (sometimes for me very dangerous!) the two piece would be the stronger, in that the the fittings would be the suspected weak point.
    For sure the four piece rod is a whole lot better to travel with, but my preference is the two piece as I believe the rod to be stronger ... and the rod action better. And let us not forget the two piece is quicker to assemble! (LOL)

A four piece has a ferrule in the middle just like a 2 piece rod so you don't gain any structural advantage. i agree with rainbowchaser. that unless a ferrule is not seated properly it is very unlikely to break especially from casting. the only ferrule that i have broken was fighting a fish on a day when i was catching lots and lots of fish. It really was a poorly seated ferrule that caused the break. i had noticed it twice earlier during the day and snugged it up,but in the excitement of a great day it worked loose again and broke under the pressure of fighting a trout By the way we all stop the rod to cast
    Last edited by okflyfisher; 10-20-2015 at 03:33 PM.

Sagefisher:thanks for your reasoned response; not being a foremost authority I didn't know so I asked. I read somewhere that the only dumb question was the one you didn't ask.

It seems to me that most of the stress will be concentrated in the joint so 3 joint would tend to distribute the stress.

Thanks again.

salmonrivresavage. one CAN break a fly rod in several ways. All of them would tend to count as misuse or abuse, but that doesn't make the "culprit" a bad person. Stopping the motion of the rod abruptly is appropriate. But many people will try to reverse the motion of the rod just a bit to accentuate the snap which propels the line. The problem is that it can lead to tiny cracks forming in the rod. These are not likely to be noticed until a fatal crack appears. This gives the illusion of sudden failure when the failure has actually been building up. Stopping casts and backcasts abruptly is ok. Making even a tiny movement reversing the rod movement is begging for trouble. <sigh> I've begged for a fair amount of trouble over the years and several members of this board can attest to that fact. (Probably with glee...)

Also as stated previously, seating the ferrule properly is essential. I tend to check mine from time to time.

Regards.
    Ed

So far I've not encountered this problem (now, stand by for a future posting that I have done so) - However - my favorite two ways of breaking a rod (at least the tip) still remains:
    1) walking into a tree rod tip first (I know, I know ... supposed to walk with the rod near trees carrying the rod reel first)
    2) closing the car/station wagon/SUV/truck door on the tip while watching myself do so and yet powerless to stop it.

On most breakages I have seen, a ding by a beadhead or split shot that has gone unnoticed is usually the culprit.

I vote a loose ferrule as the most likely cause of a rod break at or next to a ferrule.

5. UNSEATED FERRULES

Another easily avoided rod breaker is an unseated ferrule, which is like a time bomb, says Johnson: ?It?s an almost surefire way to break a fly rod.? ?The ferrule sections loosen up during casting, and if a fisherman does not reseat those sections, they will eventually break,? warns Jim West. ?It happens all the time.?

If you are casting weighted flies, sinking lines, or a Spey rod, it?s imperative that you check your ferrules regularly. The constant stresses and twisting action of casting will inevitably loosen those fragile connections.

http://americanangler.com/technique/busted

Improper Seating of Ferrules

Multi-piece rods come equipped with flexible ferules to give the most uniform action. In order for them to perform, they must be securely seated. Loose connections will give a ?wobbly? feel when casting and can possibly break from the inside out.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/blog/04/2...-by-joe-mahler

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread