+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are We kidding ourselves?

Default Are We kidding ourselves?

I like to match the hatch as well as the next guy. I relish in tying flies with wings , wing cases legs etc.only to look at the flies the competition fly fishing guys are fishing and they are mostly slim smooth bodies with a turn of dubbing at the thorax. Are we making it too complicated?

If someone held a gun to my head and told me to catch a trout, or else, I'd use something like an IPW, Zebra Midge or something like you described. Luckily, that hasn't happened yet and I can fish most of the time the way I want to - with dries, using wings, hackle, tails, legs, etc.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

I always think about that... We put all this thought into the detailed representations of bugs but I always think.... What about the hook. You can't deny there's a big hook hanging off the back of the flies we tie!

Blog Entries

My short answer is yes. The long answer is that people make it as hard as they want to be. I don't think it has to be complicated at all, and my flies get simpler with time. And I catch more fish with time.

Whens the last time you saw a commercial fisherman using fly gear to catch his livelihood?
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

Quote Originally Posted by okflyfisher View Post

I relish in tying flies with wings , wing cases legs etc.
    I think you answered your own question.
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

Blog Entries

I don't think we are kidding ourselves. If you are on flat water, and a specific strong hatch is underway, I think you need the closest representation of the natural as you can tie/buy.
    If there is no hatch, then, I think you begin fishing to their opportunistic instincts .

Quote Originally Posted by okflyfisher View Post

I like to match the hatch as well as the next guy. I relish in tying flies with wings , wing cases legs etc.only to look at the flies the competition fly fishing guys are fishing and they are mostly slim smooth bodies with a turn of dubbing at the thorax. Are we making it too complicated?
    The reason is that international competition rules do not allow any added weight to the fly line or leaders so no split shot, or moldable putty weights. For the flies to get down they have to be internally weighted and have no appendages or fuzzy bodies that create hydraulic drag that slows the sink rate. If weight could be added, the flies would be different and fuzzier.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Silver

I agree competition flies are designed to sink but they also catch lots of fish without appendages

I don't think ..... ( I know bad idea) ���� that the flies of today are getting more complicated, jus it seems better materials ,, now I do believe they are getting smaller,, 1950's-1960's-1970's vs today , I can't even see a size 20 let alone tie one .. Lol,,, an competition fishing is so fAr away , from a guy like me , that catches trees, an a fish now an again
    yeah ,like they are just gonna jump on the hook ,,,huh

+ Reply to Thread