+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need A New Fish Knife

Default Need A New Fish Knife

Some years ago I came onto a fish knife that was custom made by a rod builder, if I remember correctly it was made from a file. Had a 3" blade and it was thick, much more so then a filet knife. Had a walnut handle with brass rivets and it just fit my hand. Really great for cleaning fish and had it for a few years but then left it in some campsite I'm quite sure. For a replacement picked up one in the sports section at Wally-Mart (over 10 years ago) and it was a so-so replacement - think it cost around fifteen bucks - had about a 4" blade but was thick like the old fish knife. Now this season I left it somewhere!

Makes me in the market for another fish knife and I'm open for any ideas.

Thanks ~

I have a Frost laminated steel blade knife that I bought from Lee Valley a few years ago that sounds similar to what you want. It has about a 3" blade of laminated steel that takes a very sharp edge and stays very sharp. As I remember it was about $15. Lee Valley doesn't seem to carry this size any more, but I found one that looks like the same knife on Amazon for about $23. Look for Morakniv. They are made in Sweden.

Ted

Blog Entries

I recommend you free up a rainy day and go to www.knifeworks.com and find a replacement.

Or make your own.

DG

Check out Puukko Cutlery's web site, www.puukkocutlery.com/ . I have a couple of different puukkos that I'm quite fond of.

Last edited by planettrout; 10-15-2015 at 05:13 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

You might want to check the Smoky Mountain Knife Works. They have about the great selection of knives in all price ranges you will find. If you find yourself in Sevierville, TN they have a huge store there, it on what Warren and Jack called the noisy side of the Smokies. .

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/main_front.jsp
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Thanks everyone for the input.

What a dizzying array of knives! Been looking at knives at these sites until I just had to give it a rest. Then my fishing buddy calls and I tell him what I'm up too and he says "why didn't you let me know?" - He put me onto Wetstone fixed blade fish knife with a 3 1/2" blade and he remembers my original custom made. Claims it's quite similar in design and according to the pic he sent, looks very close. Says he can get it for me for ten bucks, and since I'll be seeing him next week, gave the O.K. to pick it up for me.

I guess it pays to let it be known what your looking for! After I get the knife I'll post the results.
    Last edited by DaleW; 10-16-2015 at 02:05 PM.

Well, got the new fish knife and overall am well pleased, and certainly surprised! Of course my buddy didn't tell me it was from Wally-Mart - it had to be ordered out from their web site.

Overall length of the knife is 7 7/8", the actual blade length is 3 5/16" plus 1" wide, and 1/8" thick. Most of all the handle fits my hand most comfortably. There's an eagle superficially engraved on the side of the handle that I'm sure will be easily worn off (but who cares). The nylon sheath with the velcro closure is 3rd rate (what you would expect from the orient), but the knife is for cleaning fish, not carrying.

Overall, I really like the knife (especially for ten bucks!). Here's link for a little peaky-boo:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whetstone-...&veh=aff#about

Nothing beats being satisfied with a purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by tedshuck View Post
    I have a Frost laminated steel blade knife that I bought from Lee Valley a few years ago that sounds similar to what you want. It has about a 3" blade of laminated steel that takes a very sharp edge and stays very sharp. As I remember it was about $15. Lee Valley doesn't seem to carry this size any more, but I found one that looks like the same knife on Amazon for about $23. Look for Morakniv. They are made in Sweden.

Ted
    great knife easy to sharpen holds a edge very good

+ Reply to Thread