+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thread snap

Default Thread snap

Watching videos, I see some tyers start their flies by snapping the tag end of the thread instead of trimming with scissors. Tried it a couple times just to see, met with mixed results (mostly unsuccessful) and realized, most importantly to a cheapskate like me, that I had to leave the tag longer in order to get a decent grip, so I shelved that idea. Anyone use this method?

Also from the videos - what's the deal with a double whip finish? I rarely use anything but a double half-hitch, but if I go to the whip, it's 4 turns and done. If I had to double it up on a whip finish, I'd seriously have to re-think my tying ability.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

My personal opinion in regard to the 'thread snap' method for removing the tag end is more for show and a waste of thread. In my 55 years of flytying and flyfishing a 3 turn whip finish has been more than sufficient.

Dennis

I've done that ever since my fly tying teacher showed it to us in 1979. It takes some practice on small hooks or you can end up with some interesting bends. And don't try it with GSP. As far as the wasted thread goes, thread is cheap and to me three extra inches is insignificant. YMMV.

I have tried it.....I think alt has to do with thread selection.

Only time I use more than 3-4 wraps is if I feel a few more wraps will finish a head, lime with a streamer. Then again, I really don't count either way. I will at times use a 1-2 wrap in between stages.

Sounds to me like you folks are not tying flies that will hold up to a few redears or bluegills. Both of these fish will grind up a fly. I double whip finish flies for these fish. I don't think my tying lacks anything either. I might have learned a trick or two about keeping flies together over the course of the last 50 - 60 thousand flies tied over the past 50 years or so.

I never use the snap. I don't have any thread to snap. Take two or three turns to start the thread and thenn pull the thread until the tag is short enough to cover with the thread base. Zero waste.

Jerry

I hate to pick up tools, not one of those who holds my scissors, for fear of poking my eye out. That's why I do the snap, and hand whip finish. But some of my whips came loose, so do double.

Plenty of grunts, snappers and various reef fish caught on flies tied with either a double half-hitch or, at most a 4-turn whip (to make them look "pretty") and the only failure I had came when getting my fingers too close to the fish and finding out why they're called snappers.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

I often do a double whip finish when I don't use head cement. It is quicker for me to do a whip finish than put on head cement. I have had single whip finishes come loose after fishing a fly for a few hours.

Ted

I snip my thread. Too many potential bad side effects with snapping the thread -- eg, bent hook, hook pulls out of vise.

I do whip finish and sometimes do double whip finish knots. Unlike most tiers, I whip finish by hand (no tool). Took me a long time to learn it, but now its really quick and easy.

Blog Entries

I cut the tag end off of the thread, as I have done for going on 40 years. And I tend to do about a 4 wrap whip on most flies, except my woolly buggers, which get a couple of whip layers behind the bead for durability. Have had the outer whip come apart after a while, but with a double layer I can sometimes get dozens of fish before the fly finally dies.

+ Reply to Thread