Weekly Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Column, Oct 5 to 12, 2015

?After a careful study of British books on trout insects and their artificial imitations issued to date, I deem it wise to brush aside the science of entomology, which is of no actual service to our purpose, and to lay before the angler a plain simple plan whereby he can obtain just enough information to understand easily the general characteristics of the insects he is likely to observe trout feeding upon while wading a trout stream, to the end that he may have with him a fair imitation that will be most successful in luring trout.?

During the first decade of the 1900?s, the competition for prominence in the North American fly tying industry was fierce. One of the fellows jockeying distinction in the industry was artist, illustrator, and writer, Louis Rhead. Rhead?s keen eye for detail, and bold criticisms of his competitors, made him a highly sought after author in the, ?how to,? book market.

?I have tied the various artificial as I think they will best imitate the natural insects, without any reference whatever to the artificial flies made and sold by American and English fly-makers, although I have made a careful study of all the works on trout flies. I have no hesitation in pinning my faith on the angler who uses these new patterns, if used as directed in the accompanying charts, as against the expert who angles with the popular native ?fancy? flies or even the imported English dry flies.?

The Report

Our lower mainland lakes are fishing well. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Wooly Bugger, Doc Spratley, Halfback, Micro Leach, Six Pack, Souboo, Pumpkinhead, Damsel Nymph, American Coachman, or Baggy Shrimp. For dry (floating) fly fishing try: Lady McConnell, Big Ugly, Elk Hair Caddis, Griffith Gnat, Irresistible, or Royal Coachman.

Our local bass and panfish waters are fishing very well. For bass try: Foam Frog, Poppers, Chernobyl Ant, Stimulator, Adult Damsel, Adult Dragon, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Dragon Nymph, Pumpkinhead, Dolly Whacker, Lefty?s Deceiver, or Clouser?s Deep Minnow. For Panfish try Bloodworm, Chironomid, Micro Leach, Pumpkinhead, Popper, Black Gnat, Trico, Mosquito, or Royal Coachman.

Fishing on our interior lakes is good. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Big Black, 52 Buick, Dragon Nymph, Halfback, Butler?s Bug, Doc Spratley, Green Spratley, Pumpkinhead, Green Carey, Damsel Nymph, Dragon Nymph, or Baggy Shrimp. For dry fly fishing try: Tom Thumb, Double Hackled Peacock, Elk hair Caddis, Goddard Caddis, Royal Wulff, or Irresistible.

The Fraser River is good for Coho, spring, and pink. For coho try: Coho Blue, Christmas Tree, olive or black Wooly Bugger, Coho killer, Bite Me, or Rolled Muddler. For pink try: Pink Eve, Cathy?s Coat, hot pink Wooly Bugger, or Happy Hooker. For spring try: Big Black, GP, Flat Black, Squamish Poacher, Popsicle, or Kauffman?s black Stone.

The Harrison River is fair to good for cutthroat and pink. For cutthroat try: Rolled Muddler, American Coachman, Tied Down Minnow, Stone Nymph, Eggo, Cased Caddis, Czech Nymph, Hares Ear Nymph, or Irresistible.

The Vedder River is good for: Coho, spring and pink.