+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Light Dun vs. Medium Dun

Default Light Dun vs. Medium Dun

What color of dry fly hackle is more commonly used or has more uses? Which color matches more trout stream insects? Does it matter?

------------------
    "Fly Fishing Can Solve Any Problem"

To me it doesn't matter. I use only a little bit of hackle and it is hard to tell the difference. Another thing, one persons Light Dun may be another's Medium Dun. If I am buying I always go with the Medium now.

Okay...I'm talking about Whiting Dry Fly Hackle here in particular.

------------------
    "Why not fish a dry fly?"

I use so little now that I only buy the 100's and I still only buy Medium. I have so much dark that I have not had an opertunity to buy any, but Light, never. Oh yeah, around my neck of the woods, the medium matches more bugs than any other. The Dark matches a lot of the midges. Another thing. Eric Austin is from Ohio and he would know what is best. He is the expert of all experts and you can take my word for that. He will probably be on soon.

[This message has been edited by Pats Man (edited 22 February 2005).]

Pats Man...not much trout action in Ohio...1 stream . I am talking generally in the Eastern US.

------------------

Hi Stonefly......are you talking natural or dyed? The Whiting dyed medium dun will cover alot more flys than the light. Being in between the light and dark it will suffice as either one. The "natural" duns need to be looked at in person as they vary alot.
    Jason

Feenom, That is very true. With the Naturals you have to look at both sides.

Stone, you must be talking about the Mad. Boy Eric did very well last fall on the mad with tiny flies.

Whiting's Medium dun would be what I recommend if you *had* to chose. It's a tad dark for sulphurs, but it will pass. The natural barred dun is nice for sulphurs but I feel it's too light for the others.

In my eye, the dyed medium dun is too "blue" but it is a good happy shade for both BWO's, sulphurs and "April Grays."

I love the quality...I just wish the Dr. would breed some more true dun chickens!

Dyed...I have one packet of the Dyed Light 100s and another of the the Dyed Medium 100s and the Light looks darker *Help* Also looked at the color chart in my Cabelas Catalouge and (at least to me) the light does look the same if not darker...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Stonefly Nymph (edited 22 February 2005).]

Pats Man...no I don't fish the Mad too much...I'm talking about Clearfork, which is the only trout stream with in 1.5 hours of me...the Mad is about 3 hours away and I rather fish in a different state for that much time driving.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Stonefly Nymph (edited 22 February 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread