+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Light Dun vs. Medium Dun

This is basically what I am gonna be tying...BWO, Sulphurs, Baetis, basically everything that is on the Hatch Chart on the Catskills Fish In Page. While I am on the topic, what would you buy, a half silver grade cape at $32 or a half gold grade saddle at $34.50 (in relation to those insects(size) I will be wishing to copy).

------------------
    "Why not fish a dry fly?"

Well here is my two cents. I would buy the medium Dun in the saddle if I were you. Then I would get a pack of the 100's in Med Dun in the small sizes. You would have them covered with those. You will not get anywere near the number of flies out of the neck as you will the saddles. Most of the flies that you want to tie will be of a Medium Dun shade. Then if you want some light Dun I would see if someone on this baord would trade a few saddles with you. Problem solved. Ron

Great solution Ron LOL

------------------

Stonefly:

A full silver will get you many. many, many flies down to #24 with no issues. A silver 1/2 will get you....well .

You'd most likely be fine with a Bronze. Usually the same size ranges, just less of them.

I just tied 20 dozen BWO's in the #20 and #18 sizes...I used a single silver cape and I have some left. Many of the feathers gave me two flies (I tie in at front..wrap back and wrap forward again.).

Jim Slattery Guest

Stonefly, A dark medium dun or a light dark dun in natural is what you need. Or perhaps one of each and you can blend them to get the color you need.Natural dun is beautiful and lifelike.Dyed dun is nice but it's a not the same thing.
    take care, Jim

------------------
    [url=http://www.Jimsflyco.com:6ede8]www.Jimsflyco.com[/url:6ede8]

Ok...Medium Dun. Dyed or Natural?

------------------

Stonefly.....If the natural is the color and quality you are looking for, then by all means....go for it! Like Jim said, the naturals just look better. They have a kind of transluscent quality. Good luck!...Jason

In truth the fish just do not care if it is a dyed hackle or the real thing. I have dyed many necks over the years to come up with the right color and the fish never seemed to mind a bit. If you are real picky then go ahead and buy the natural saddles or neck but in the real world it just dosen't matter to the fish. Ron

Jim Slattery Guest

Ron, If you had the choice beteen dyed and natural grey dun , all things being the same, which would you choose?
    Take care, Jim

------------------
    [url=http://www.Jimsflyco.com:6e104]www.Jimsflyco.com[/url:6e104]

Jim, I know I am not Ron but I would take dyed over natural any day. Same shade on both sides of the feather. Sorry for butting in.

+ Reply to Thread