+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What were you doing when you were 12 years old?

At 12, i was buying flies for $.10 each at the local sporting goods store. At 18 I was tying my own flies. Neither the store bought flies nor the ones I tied at 18 looked nearly as good as this kid's.

At 12, I was tying flies that caught fish, but they certainly weren't in the same class as that kid's.

And fifty-one years later, they still aren't.
    Bob

I must have been pretty busy to have missed this last year. Talent like this is a gift from above....can't be taught or externally inspired. Our sport has a bright future.
    God Bless America

I wasn't aware of fly fishing when I was 12. The first time I ever saw anyone fly fish was when I was in college in the mid-70s in NW Tennesse. One of my drinking buddies asked me if I wanted to go fishing at one our English profs farm pond. He showed up carrying a fly rod. On that day my Jitterbug was king. Still it planted a seed which really didn't sprout till the late 90's when I was 50. It took a year or two before I put the spinning gear away for fresh water and a another year or two before I put the same gear away for salt water. I started tying about the same time, and I've slowly gotten better. A tip of the hat to you Roger Peacock, for planting the seed that turned into a passion

Why can't I get this young gut's site to download ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    Why can't I get this young gut's site to download ?
    It worked for me just now/
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I started tying flies and making lures when I was about 10. 36 or so years ago. I've fished forever. It's just been a part of life as much as eating and sleeping. There have been periodic lulls in my fly fishing, but I've never stopped fishing, having moved all over the country. Work and other obligations get in the way. The kid is very talented but not a miracle worker. He does very good work.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

Jesse, The war was just over a few months back and my Dad and I were in Baja California fishing for albacore. The government
    had just put all the used landing craft on the surplus market and anyone with a few bucks bought them up, had the front landing
    ramp welded up and rigged them up for fishing. Believe me there were hundreds of "em out there. Everybody was fishing for
    albacore. That in its self, drove the market way down. Dad said when the market drops below $400.00 a ton it wasn't worth
    even goin out, clearing for Mexico and spending all summer trying to make a living. We did stick it out for a couple more years
    as we had a boat that would ice down about 8 ton and store about 4 more on deck. We did tie many of our own flies for trolling.
    Just big lead heads that we tied feathers to of various sizes and shapes on. Not to bad, as we always off loaded in San Diego
    with a full load. Then it was clear for Mexico again. One more trip and it was back to school for me.
    Crunchy

Blog Entries

That boy far surpasses any tying I will ever do, and I have been tying about 40 years!

There are always certain people in all human endeavors who are able to surpass most everyone else in those endeavors, and in a very short time. Imagine what that lad will be able to tie when he's in his 60's ....if he sticks with it.

Quite amazing!

+ Reply to Thread