Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Norikane View Post
You are right. Doesn't make a huge difference (but some of us are gearheads and love to discuss new stuff.) <br>
<br>
Also because different lines fit different tastes and conditions. Some things to consider - casting accuracy, casting into the wind, casting heavier/wind resistant flies, holding line off the water. As you've found, maximum distance is usually not an issue.<br>
<br>
Basically heavier lines are easier to cast and handle wind and big flies better. On the down side, heavier lines sag more. Lighter lines are easier to hold off the water and make better presentations. There are numerous other factors, but these are the big trade offs.<br>
<br>
I'm a level line guy because I fish pocket water and holding the line off the water is my highest priority. I've fished tapered lines. I love the way they cast, but the sag really bothers me. Now I use very light level line, a #2.5. With this light line, I can fish a longer line and still hold it off the water. A side bonus for me, light lines fall very gently, and this can make a difference when I need to let the line land on the water. This line is not ideal for casting in the wind, but I've learned to deal with it. <br>
<br>
Your mileage will vary.
Thanks!&nbsp;&nbsp; That's all very helpful and makes sense.&nbsp; Like I said, I'm still learning how to get the maximum benefit from my Tenkara and appreciate all detailed responses.