+ Reply to Thread

Thread: South paw skills?

Default South paw skills?

Ok, here's the deal: I am right dominant abidexterous- which is nice when tying and casting however... I had never tried to tie left handed until I put on a fly tying demo for kids this last weekend. I have a question for the south paws out there. Do you wind up and over like righties or down and under? The reason I ask is because we had much difficulty in getting the thread started and the materials to hold for the left handed students. Is there a trick I don't know? Boy was whip-finishing lefty fun!!! Luke
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

There is no "Left" or "Right" way to wrap thread. As long as you do it the same all the time, it does not matter. I'm right-handed but for some reason a the time I first started learning to wrap thread on a hook when I was 9 or 10, I did it the opposite direction than what apparently I was supposed to. Being self taught, it was many years before someone smart saw me doing it and told me it was WRONG. I guess all the fish I had caught up to that point were wrong too. I haven't ever changed because it was simply muscle memory at that point. On the rare occasions when I tie with other people, someone invariably imparts their wisdom upon us, saying I am doing it backwards. Sure. Ok. Move along.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

Take a look at some of Charlie Craven's videos. No different than tying right handed. Sometimes he starts the thread a little differently, but it has nothing to do with tying left handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayatwork View Post
    Take a look at some of Charlie Craven's videos. No different than tying right handed. Sometimes he starts the thread a little differently, but it has nothing to do with tying left handed.
    Charlie Craven is a rightie. He just learned to tie holding the material with his dominant hand.

+ Reply to Thread