Thread: First day on the water in a while...

Threaded View

Default First day on the water in a while...

A beautiful late summer Saturday morning; what better way to spend it than at the fishing hole? I knew of a little urban spot that doesn't get fished much if at all; the last time I was there I caught some fair-to-middlin' bass, and figured some of them had to have gotten bigger by now. Set up the 6wt in anticipation of that, and cast her out. Here's the first landed fish of the day...

After landing a few of these monsters I decided to try a different spot, and I switched to the 3wt; if the little guys were all that wanted to play I wanted to at least feel them on the line. I hooked one, and was ready to bring him in when there was a big swish in the water, and when all was said and done, this fella came to hand...

I kinda expected to find the little fella in this guy's gullet, but I guess he must have begged off before this-n' took it. Shortly thereafter I tried to climb up out of the concrete culvert where I'd been standing, lost my balance, and took a header into the abyss. Banged my right shin pretty much to the bone, pulled something in my left thigh trying to avoid the fall, skinned up my arm pretty good, and with blood running into my shoe I headed home. Bandaged and ibuprofened up I guess I'll survive, but it did put an end to the fishing for the day. A couple of stiff Scotches has helped.
    Last edited by Prairieschooner; 09-20-2015 at 03:26 PM.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis