+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eye color

Default Eye color

I read an article last fall(I think) and it talked about eye color on clousers and such. Went looking for the article last night and of course I couldn't find it but I want to say yellow with purple pupil. I have tied up a large assortment of clousers and need to paint the eyes.
    So does anybody have an opinion on this or a favorite combination they use? Did anybody read that article or am I having weird dreams again.

I like yellow or red with black pupils. Purple doesn't make much sense since it just turns black once it's under water a couple feet.
    For future reference it's easier to paint your dumbbell eyes before you tie them into the fly. Hold them in the middle with needle nose pliers (locking pliers are nice), then dip them into shallow containers of your paint of choice.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> For future reference it's easier to paint your dumbbell eyes before you tie them into the fly. Hold them in the middle with needle nose pliers (locking pliers are nice), then dip them into shallow containers of your paint of choice.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I have always just used the end of a drill bit to just paint the end. Where do you put the eye while it's drying so the paint doesn't come off? This would definitely be faster.

I dont think it makes any difference to the fish.Use whatever makes you happy.Fish key in the movement of baitfish,not eye color.Most all of my Clousers have unpainted eyes.I use chrome eyes on dark flies and black eyes on light flies.This gives contrast which I feel is more important than actual color.

+ Reply to Thread