I use 7.5' 3x mono leaders I get from fly shops, and carry the packages around in my bag for when I need to change out the whole leader. Keep a half dozen on hand, when the packages look too ratty or I run low I buy another couple 3-packs. One good tug to straighten out the butt section when I tie on, and then fish until I have turned it into a hand-tied leader or something drastic happens and I replace it.

If I need a lighter tippet, or a longer leader (which I seldom do), I loop the end of the leader and add some tippet. Of which I carry three sizes, 3-5x. IF it sits on the reel long enough to get springy, one good tug and I am fishing again.

The more I do this, the simpler I try to make it all. I catch just as many if not more fish than I did back in the gear days, with less sitting on the bank fiddling with stuff, and less stuff to carry around. Just got back from a week in Montana, where I fished 8 patterns/sizes on three rods (broke my 4wt primary on a 10" bow and the 1-wt just aint a nymphing or streamer rod) in eight days on half a dozen waters.