+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hackers, may they all cease to exist

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Hackers, may they all cease to exist

FOAL sent me two messages:

Dear sagefisher,

Someone has tried to log into your account on FAOL BB with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.
    The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 94.242.246.24
    All the best,
    FAOL BB
    ------------------
    Dear sagefisher,

Someone has tried to log into your account on FAOL BB with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.
    The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 195.228.45.176
    All the best,
    FAOL BB

------------------

I would really like to see all hackers not exist.

Larry ---saefisher---

Larry, the first one came up as Luxemburg and the second came up as Hungary.
    Either or both could have been routed via IP randomizers or through an IP address spoofer

Regards,
    Ed

I still don't get it - this isn't Charlaine C. sending these messages, is it? Aren't the messages themselves the hack?

I believe the emails you received from the FAOL BB are valid, they are not the "hack".

A person or group is using software to try to login to accounts to identify a user name and password combination that is valid.

Using the assumption that many people (foolishly) use the same username and password combinations for many other web sites (such as banks, credit card accounts, brokerage accounts, etc), they will then take the combination of username and password, which proved valid at FAOL and their software will try it at thousands of other sites, from which a theft can be made

The FAOL BB email is alerting you that multiple failed attempts were made to access your account, which in actuality are coming from the software being executed to attempt to find valid name password combinations.

One concept many miss, is that the attempts are not being executed by a person, they are being executed by software, which can runs for days, going to an unimaginable number of web sites and trying name and password combinations. Once the software finds a working combination, then a human becomes involved to execute the theft.

That is my thought, please correct me if you believe otherwise.

Cheers!

Bill*, I think you're dead on.

Regards,
    Ed

+ Reply to Thread