+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel Grease

Default Reel Grease

Instructions for my Flystart reel recommend using grease for lubrication. Any suggestions as to what is good to use and where to purchase?

I have been using Quantum Hot Sauce. I Have had good results. No issues so far.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I bought a tin of Mobil 1 synthetic grease a few years ago. It cost about $5. I have used it for bicycle grease, fishing reels, household chores, whatever needs grease... I have hardly put a dent in it. A lifetime supply for sure.

The great thing about this grease is that it won't harden up or separate over time like many greases will and it is very waterproof.

Ted

Loon makes a reel lube, not sure I would chance anything but a product made specifically for reels.

What Kaboom said.

Blog Entries

I use Slipstream weapons lubricant, after using Skelly cotton picker spindle grease for decades.

Thank you for your insight. Unlike flies, t is too easy to take reels, line and rod for granted and simply fish. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Rever View Post
    Thank you for your insight. Unlike flies, t is too easy to take reels, line and rod for granted and simply fish. . . .
    Amen.

Chuck

Only the spindle requires lubrication. If you have some hot sauce on-hand, or don't mind paying $10 for .75oz, you're good to go. If not, then there are plenty of less costly alternatives that will work just as well. The synthetic lube I use is about half the cost of hot sauce for a 3oz tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    Only the spindle requires lubrication. If you have some hot sauce on-hand, or don't mind paying $10 for .75oz, you're good to go. If not, then there are plenty of less costly alternatives that will work just as well. The synthetic lube I use is about half the cost of hot sauce for a 3oz tube.
    The .75 ounce tube is exactly why I bought it...it packs nicely in my travel tool kit. I think that 10 bucks to protect several hundred dollars of reels is a good investment, especially when you are in the middle of now where and not a big box store in sight. YMMV

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

+ Reply to Thread