+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Furled Leaders

Hybrid View

Default Furled Leaders

Autumn is on the way. It?s the perfect time to pit you wits against our piscatorial friends. Not too hot, not too cold, just right for an outing to your favorite stream, river, pond or lake. Now is the time to make sure you have all the furled leaders you?ll need. Red, Olive, Black & Chartreuse are readily available. If I don?t have the color you want, I can order it and have it on hand in 2-3 business days. My jigs are set up for 3, 5, and 7 feet, with a taper of either 10-8-6, or 12-10-8. I don?t think you will find a better price anywhere than $4 each or 3 for $10. Tippet rings installed are available for only 50 cents per leader. Now is the time to order. Send me an email and we'll talk. lotechjoe@gmail.com
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

curious as to what material(s) and sizes you make furled leaders with, e.g., monofilament, 6/0 or 3/0 Unithread, etc.

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by fritz View Post
    curious as to what material(s) and sizes you make furled leaders with, e.g., monofilament, 6/0 or 3/0 Unithread, etc.

thank you
    I've tried other materials but found nothing else performs to my liking like Uni 6/0 thread.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

FTI for those of you not familiar with furled leaders Joe's 7' 10/8/6 leader has close to 22 yards of material in it! Thread leaders allow you to make a very nice delicate presentation of dry fly's. How ever as the breeze picks up or you are flinging large fly's they can be a bit too limp. If it's a breezy day I'll go with a 5' leader and a shorter tippet. For nymph fishing a highly visible leader is the perfect "Strike Indicator"!
    With a simple change the 10/8/6 leader can become a 12/10/8/6 leader giving it a bit more OOMPH to turn over a larger fly or defeat a stiff breeze.
    Sir Isaac Walton used furled leaders made from the hairs of a horse's tail some 300 or so years ago! The tapered mono leader, or "Slinky" is only a new arrival to the sport!
    A fan of furled leaders for over 10 years and lots of fish to prove it!!

Thanks for your words about my leaders. If anyone is interested, I do make a heavier leader by increasing the taper to 12/10/8. That works a bit better for heavier bugs or windy conditions.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread