Got home last Thurs after 4 days on the Yellowstone just outside of Mammoth Hot Springs. This was a birthday gift from my wife and the 2 of us hiked into some backcountry campsites right on the river. Easy hike, fantastic country, fishing was awesome, and I caught the biggest fish of my life. The River also gave me a present on the morning of my birthday in the form of a 14" Brookie. Doesn't get much better than this.

Lots of strikes with more than a few shaking them off. Disappointing but pretty magical watching bright yellow cutties come up out of the green water to take something off the surface. I fished a #16 purple cripple about a foot behind a chernobyl and that proved to be the right combination. Sometimes the dry would stay on the surface, other times just below. Didn't seem to matter as they went after it regardless. One of them made my reel sing and that's always an awesome sound. A couple of whitefish, 2 rainbows, 4 Yellowstone Cutts, and a Brookie. Great days and a trip I'll NEVER forget thanks to a loving woman who did everything to make it happen!

Gear: Scott Radian 6, Hatch 5+/SA Sharkwave, #16 purple cripple from Park's, Lagavulin 16.

This guy was the largest at about 19".

Headed out with boots drying on top!