+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for tips on a fly tying/casting demo for kids?

Default Looking for tips on a fly tying/casting demo for kids?

My sister asked to put on a demo at a local DU Shoot. I have 5 hours and there should be around 100 kids (based on previous years). There will be other demos going on with kids shifting from station to station. Not sure what I've signed on for, but I am open to suggestions and tips. I have a month to plan.
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

A green weenie is a very simple fly and it will catch both trout and warm water fish. A pond of blue gill and a bunch of kids would be a lot of fun for everyone, if you can actually take them fishing.

good luck,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

I think that with that kind of crowd I would not try to do anything with casting unless they can guarantee you a sufficient clear space for safe casting in both directions. That would mean a roped off area and maybe a couple of adults to keep it clear. Larger flies like streamers or foam bugs will be easier to see than small dry flies. Plan on each session lasting about ten minutes less than you have per group. That will give you time to talk to those who want to know more and take a quick break
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

If all you are teaching is casting techniques, it is not necessary to even put a fly on the line. I piece of brightly colored yarn will suffice. The best program for teaching kids about and "how-to" flyfishing was a day camp put on by the Mid-Atlantic Council of FFF. It covered brief lessons (bearing in mind attention sans and simplicity) in entomology, hands-on flyting, knot tying , lunch and finally an hour or so of fishing in a pond for bluegills. The flies included a green weenie, and a few of the classics like the Adams and woolly buggers. I personally included a foam beetle, and a foam ant at my table. FFF may still have copies of the small handbook which served as a guide for the instructors conducting the course. My grandkids are grown now but they still fondly remember the fun they had participating in that day camp. Also, you might want to get specific details as to the amount of and kind of space that will be allotted to you for the five hours of instructions. You will need classroom space or at least a couple of picnic tables as well as casting space and a pond. Also. there was an minimum age limit required (10yrs old) and each kid had to be accompanied by a parent or supervising adult.

For a fly tying demo, I took a cutting board and drilled holes to hold electrical clips the hold different flies.

I have about 50 different flies that are on display. Along side the board, I have photos of the actual food item, whether it be a caddis pupa or a mayfly so the kids can compare the fly to the food item I am imitating. The kids can pick up the fly with the elecrical clip so they can examine it if tehy want. The display shows them what is possible in fly tying.

Then for the actual tying, I tie very simple patterns and give them away in zip lock bags. The most popular has been the Attract Ant which can be tied very fast and I can pretie the bead bodies. I then finish with my Crystal UV coat and tie the legs. Other patterns I tie are parachutes, EHCs, nymphs etc.

For a casting demo an Echo MPR is perfect. I have and use one. George Daniels uses one in his nymphing demos,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_e7djaYzyg

If you don't want to buy an MPR, you can use the top 1/2 of a 9 ft fly rod and fro the "fly line use:

1. 20 feet of macrame cord.

2. You can buy the MPR line by writing Echo. 3 years ago the replacement MPR "lines" were about $10. My contact person was anna@rajeffsports.com

2. You can buy "gift tie yarn" which is the same yarn that the MPR uses.

http://www.pakitproducts.com/Gift-Tie-Yarn-P244.aspx

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Don't make presentation too long. Attention spans are short.

Blog Entries

Keep it simple

Blog Entries

kids are very visual.

Blog Entries

Make it fun.
    Don't be too technical.
    Encourage interaction.

Thanks for all the info and ideas. Spinner1, those are some big crowds! Don't think I'm ready for that many at once. I think with the spread in ages that I'm expecting (6-18yrs) I'll probably limit it to fly tying. Luke
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

+ Reply to Thread