+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Single Thread Dubbing or a Dubbing Loop?

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default Single Thread Dubbing or a Dubbing Loop?

I've been tying up a lot of GRHEs lately in order to become a subsurface threat to the brim population. I've been using two methods.

The first method was a single thread dubbing in which I would increase the amount of dubbing and the number of wraps as I got near the eye of the hook to thicken the body. Then I would pick and tease like mad to get that good, "buggy" hare's ear look.

I tied dubbing loops on later flies because I bought a brass dubbing spinner where you hold the handle and spin a free-spinning brass wheel to tighten the dubbing loop. The results with the dubbing loop were clearly superior for bugginess. The dubbing near the eye of the hook looks like Don King on a bad hair day. This method seems to take a little more time to complete.

My question is the following. How many of you take the time to use a dubbing loop when you tie Gold-Ribbed Hare's Ears. How many just add more dubbing on a single thread to thicken the last third of the body? Thanks for your input. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

I rarely bother w/ a dubbing loop for grhe's.

mgj

My problem is actually not having too much dubbing on the thread for the back 2/3 of the fly. Of course I am using material from the late great dubbing dog Brody. She was half Rottweiler half German Shepherd and all lap dog. She lost so much hair each spring that I would throw away plastig grocery sacks full. All black from her back, nice tan from her front shoulders and a wonderful mix everywhere else. Man I miss her. When I run out of dubbing I will really be hard pressed to find a replacement.

Maybe that long-haired German Shepherd the neighbor just got will grow into a nice dubbing supplier. I bet they'd be happy to have someone brush him once in a while.

Don
    Last edited by drolfson; 01-02-2008 at 08:57 PM.
    Don Rolfson

I almost always use a dubbing loop. It may take more time but makes for a stronger fly which last longer. Many times I make them flashbacks also.

8T,

I'll add some conplexity to the mix by offering two additional options:

- Split thread dubbing loop
    _ Spin on dubbing, then double thread making a loop which is dubbed thread one leg, bare thread other leg. Twist, then wrap.

I just dub on thread, make a noodle and wrap the abdomen (and the thorax). I can get the slender and smooth, or rough and rugged, look as I want by a combination of material selection and tightness of dubbing noodle.

Any of the techniques mentioned will work and can produce the result you are after. Practice them all and pick the one which works best for you.

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Lately, I have been using a dubbing block and using micro thin copper wire to create a dubbing brush. Works like a champ, looks extremely buggy and adds weight that I want.

I can go along with the dubbing block, have recently started using one myself, and find that it actually speeds my tying, makes a more durable fly, and adds weight when wanted. I also found that using thread for pre-made dubbing ropes is a waste of my valuable time.

I amny times rope dub mine and just make sure ther is more material lower on the thread.

I have some velcro on a pop cickle stick to pull the dubbing out a little.

Have you looked at all the vairtions of this fly?

Rick

Normally, I directly dub onto the thread, for the abdomen portion of the fly. If the material is somewhat course (or if I want a tighter dubbing), I may use a dubbing loop to tighten the material some more.

I use the dubbing loop for the thorax portion of the fly, with the material place perpendicular to the thread loop, for a thick thorax body.

~ Parnelli

"Happiness in life, depends on what you really want, out of life!"

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 19 February 2005).]

It depends on the pattern or you might say sub-pattern. I use dubbing loops, direct single thread dubbing, touch dubbing with fine chopped materials and now the split thread dubbing recommended by Hans.
    Just considering nymphs, some require a heavy bushy dubbing, some a lighter dubbing and some almost none.
    Most nymphs taper a bit from the head to the tail and it is fairly easy to accommodate this with all forms of dubbing

------------------
    Donald/Scotland

[This message has been edited by Donald Nicolson (edited 19 February 2005).]
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

+ Reply to Thread