I've been tying up a lot of GRHEs lately in order to become a subsurface threat to the brim population. I've been using two methods.

The first method was a single thread dubbing in which I would increase the amount of dubbing and the number of wraps as I got near the eye of the hook to thicken the body. Then I would pick and tease like mad to get that good, "buggy" hare's ear look.

I tied dubbing loops on later flies because I bought a brass dubbing spinner where you hold the handle and spin a free-spinning brass wheel to tighten the dubbing loop. The results with the dubbing loop were clearly superior for bugginess. The dubbing near the eye of the hook looks like Don King on a bad hair day. This method seems to take a little more time to complete.

My question is the following. How many of you take the time to use a dubbing loop when you tie Gold-Ribbed Hare's Ears. How many just add more dubbing on a single thread to thicken the last third of the body? Thanks for your input. 8T

------------------
You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.