+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slinkies

Hybrid View

Default Slinkies

After a week of playing chuck-and-duck for sockeye and coho, I left a number of my partner's slinky rigs on the bottom of the Kenai and want to replace them. Instead of using split shot as stuffing, I was going to buy a box of shotgun shot; what size do you leadslingers recommend? Also, what size parachute cord? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Scott, I am not familiar with Slinkies but years ago I produced some weights with lead shot in parachute cord. I am pretty sure I used BB shot, which fit nicely. FYI, If you decide to buy regular BB's they will probably be steel.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Scott-
    You may already have this information but, if not, the attached chart maybe helpful. It shows the sizes of various sizes of both lead and steel shot, along with the number of pellets in a typical load. If you can find a waterfowling buddy from whom you can get a couple shells in a couple different sizes, you would have enough pellets to make a lot of slinkies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use 550# cord and #4 lead Buck Shot. Make them from 4 shot to 10 shot in the slinkey. I made a splitter to cut the shot so I can use the same shot to make split shot for steelhead fishing in the great lakes.

Jerry

How about some pic.s of the splitter and how y'all rig / use the Slinkies, as they are rarely used in our part of the country...

Thanks
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

Surprised to not find this in the Fly Tying area but I can't even find a "slinky" description by searching FAOL.
    They don't acknowledge the term. What are they? Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread