+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A REAL FLY FISHING RIG - Whipfinish - Aug 3, 2015

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default A REAL FLY FISHING RIG - Whipfinish - Aug 3, 2015

A REAL FLY FISHING RIG

Recently while discussing fly fishing with a friend, he brought up the fact that he was thoroughly disgusted with fly fishing. He had bought an entry level rod and reel with a small starter package two seasons ago, but wanted to upgrade to a "real" fly fishing outfit. He then proceeded to begin a slight rant on what had him so twisted. It seems after going to three or four pro-shops, it was basically laid out for him that unless he wanted to simply waste his money they would always come out to a price tag of something in the $200 to $300 range.

I have had a few folks ask me about how much It costs to get into fly fishing.
    They are amazed when I tell them to look at the introductory rod sets a few places have.
    I tell them it does not have to be fancy to catch fish.
    Great article and well stated.

Rick

With the exceptions of some of the real junk that is out there, there are loads of beginner outfits that will do just fine. I've recommended the Cabelas outfits to a number of people and they've all been very happy. There are also a number of good beginner outfits available from SierraTradingPost.com http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~fly-fishing-gear/3/ that would work fine. He could also pick up a used outfit for about $100-$150 with higher quality equipment.

Jim Smith

Whip finish is hitting it right on the nail. Stronger, lighter, faster etc , etc. Every manufacturer's latest model we have to own. I can not for the life of me understand how anyone 40 yrs ago could possibly catch a fish!

He had bought an entry level rod and reel with a small starter package two seasons ago, but wanted to upgrade to a "real" fly fishing outfit.... He had a $100 budget ...
    If $100 is his "upgrade" budget, I shudder to think what he paid for his starter combo. That being said, I do feel for newbies walking into a fly shop for the first time. "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."

+ Reply to Thread