+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NE Iowa - Driftless Region Warmwater / Coldwater

Default NE Iowa - Driftless Region Warmwater / Coldwater

I invited my buddy to join me on a 2-day flyfishing excursion to NE Iowa. We enjoyed it so much, we're hoping to go again VERY soon!
    The first day, we waded a river for Smallmouth Bass. I ended up catching 6 species from that stream, including 4 "fly-rod firsts" for me. I caught Smallmouth Bass, Rock Bass, White Sucker, Golden Redhorse Sucker, Creek Chubs, and Striped Shiners.

After dinner, we decided to make a quick scouting of a nearby trout stream. It was tiny! Took a bit to figure it out, but then I landed 7 Rainbow Trout before the sky started getting dark.

Last edited by FishnDave; 08-26-2015 at 03:06 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

On day 2, we visited a different trout stream. It was only slightly larger than the previous stream, but was loaded with minnows, chubs, suckers, baby smallmouth and rock bass, and occasionally had deeper pools that held trout. I caught Brook Trout and Rainbow Trout, plus rock bass, creek chubs, and a green Sunfish.

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Sounds like a fun with lots of variety. Thanks for posting

Flyfished a new-to-me stream in Iowa on Sunday. Its not actually in the Driftless area, but has some similiarities. Its a spring-fed creek that maintains a 55-degree temperature most of the year. And I'd have to say that is accurate. My legs got a little chilled as I wet-waded it!

It is a Catch & Release / Artificials Only stream. The DNR stocks fingerling trout once each year. Called McLoud Run, it is Iowa's only urban trout stream, running for a couple miles through Iowa's 2nd largest city, Cedar Rapids. It parallels an Interstate and bike trail on one side, and train tracks on the other. In 2013, chorinated water from a watermain break killed @ 75 14"-18" trout here. I did see some decent-sized trout, but I mainly caught small ones.

Regardless of size, I was able to get my first trout Grand Slam, catching all 3 species in one day. Plus a bonus Creek Chub! ;o)

Interesting how a line of big electrical poles goes down the middle of the creek. But it anchors some good structure in some places.

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

My buddy Jay and I fly-fished 2 more new-to-us trout streams in NE Iowa this past week.

Had a couple "suprises" in these streams, too!

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Sorry you did not have enough fun.

Rick

It sure was fun...and, well, we can never really have TOO much fun, can we?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread