+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Head Cement Applicator

Blog Entries

Default Head Cement Applicator

A while back, there was a tread about head cement applicators. I rarely use it, so had to search for my applicator.

I would highly recommend this one from Dyna-King (assuming they are still made). It is heavy as is made of a solid block of aluminum. The "varnish" does not dry out quickly, and the applicator needle is fine enough for pinpoint applications.

By the way, the importance of the "weight" and the low center of gravity and size is that it won't tip over.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 07-14-2015 at 07:23 PM.

While a nice piece of kit, the rubber O-rings that seal the cap & applicator needle react with certain solvents causing them to swell, screwing up the seal and making replacing the applicator needle into the cap after use all but impossible.

I tried it with Griff's Thin (my preferred and now discontinued brand) and Harry's Murray's head cement and it was a disaster. Dyna-King sent me replacement "non-reactive" O-rings, recommended smearing them with silicone or Vaseline but it didn't make any difference. I reluctantly returned mine for a refund since I don't use water based head cement or have any plans to do so.

Bottom line, Dyna-King and I concluded that it may be best to use ONLY with water based head cements, therefore I recommend it as an overpriced paperweight to keep feathers from blowing off of your tying bench.
    Last edited by Bamboozle; 07-15-2015 at 09:21 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks Bamboozle.
    I have never had the problem. They do say that you should occasionally clean the reservoir and put a bit of vasoline on the O rings. Did you try that and still only use it as a paperweight?

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Thanks Bamboozle.
    I have never had the problem. They do say that you should occasionally clean the reservoir and put a bit of vasoline on the O rings. Did you try that and still only use it as a paperweight?
    I tried everything because I really wanted it to work for me. Nothing did so I gave up on it. The O-rings were just too temperamental. I now use two Renzetti applicator bottles stuck with poster putty into the bottom of a small square plastic box so they don't tip over.

Works like a charm at a fraction of the cost of the Dyna-King bottle with no O-rings to foul up.
    Last edited by Bamboozle; 07-16-2015 at 10:36 AM.

Dyna-King still makes them and they go for nearly $50. I've one that I got probably 10 or so years ago. It works fine for me, but some here like Bamboozle it did not and failed miserably for them. When I use it I do apply Vaseline to the o-ring. These days I just stick a needle in the cement bottle and apply to the thread.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Never tried the ink-well style applicator reservoir. I do admire your tying desk however Byron...looks like mine! A messy tying desk is the sign of a fly tying genius!

BTW, I use an applicator bottle just like the one in the back of your photo near the Anvil ice scissors.
    Last edited by appalachian angler; 07-16-2015 at 01:32 AM.
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Blog Entries

Then post a photo of your tying desk. We'll have a contest.

PS
    Will check when I get home, but I think that applicator is an anti-rust oil for the salt water air here.................
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 07-16-2015 at 05:24 PM.

Blog Entries

A closer look at my oil applicator......

Last edited by Byron haugh; 07-16-2015 at 08:03 PM.

+ Reply to Thread