+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooks for Klinkhammers

Question Hooks for Klinkhammers

Is It acceptable to use Scud shaped hooks for Klinkhammers
    or are they too heavy or misshaped?

I just use a Dai Riki 125 emerger hook. I don't tie enough Klinkhammers to justify buying the official iron and the fish don't seem to care.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Yep, same here. Not the 2x heavy scud?. Just the standard wire caddis emerger.

Me, too. The Dai Riki, as Scott said, or the Tiemco 2487 or 2488. Not the heavier wire 2457.

Joe

Daiichi 1167 Klinkhammer hook is very nice. Has a deep bend that gets the body under the film, and the post/thorax rides on top. Mustad c49 is similar and cheaper. If you decide to try the original Partridge klinkhammer hook, be aware that Partridge has a very funny sizing system, that runs much larger than other brands. Only the flat spot behind the eye bears any resemblance to conventional sizing. The extended shank that rides down subsurface, is very long. A size 12 looks like you could use it for tuna. Still, it is a very nice hook, that makes beautiful larger klinks. Good choice as the bobber in a dry/dropper system.

Quote Originally Posted by jay92 View Post
    Daiichi 1167 Klinkhammer hook is very nice. Has a deep bend that gets the body under the film, and the post/thorax rides on top. Mustad c49 is similar and cheaper. If you decide to try the original Partridge klinkhammer hook, be aware that Partridge has a very funny sizing system, that runs much larger than other brands. Only the flat spot behind the eye bears any resemblance to conventional sizing. The extended shank that rides down subsurface, is very long. A size 12 looks like you could use it for tuna. Still, it is a very nice hook, that makes beautiful larger klinks. Good choice as the bobber in a dry/dropper system.
    This is spot on. The Partridge hooks seem way too big. Two other curved shank hooks that make excellent dry fly hooks are the Daiichi 1130 and the Gamakatsu C12. I use those quite a bit for caddisflies.

Quote Originally Posted by jay92 View Post
    Jay92, I agree. The Daiichi is a very nice hook. I don't believe you can correctly simulate a Klinkhammer hook by bending a scud hook. I tried and it's just not the same. Just my opinion.

Hans weighs in...

http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/fly-fi...r-special.html

If it ain't the Daiichi 1167 0r 1160, it's a parachute fly on a curved hook...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

I'm probably wrong, but I use Tiemco 200 R with just a slight bend about 1/4 of the way behind the eye. It looks very much like the Klinkhamer hooks I have seen. I very much enjoyed Hans' article and descriptions. I tie the fly in a very similar way,keeping the body slim and the thorax full. I tie the parachute by Charlie Cravens' method and find it keeps my abdomen slim ( not mine, the fly's). I use 70 Denier UTC and don't have to remove and retie threads although I have used spider web I find the utc works as well. I'm certainly not an expert and have never fished for or caught a Grayling, but the trout in Colorado seem to like my version. I'm certainly not as world renouned as Hans Von klinken nor do I pretend to be as knowledgable, but I am a thoughtful fly tier. Not for criticism only my humble thoughts and opinions !................PADDY
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
    Hans weighs in...

http://www.tomsutcliffe.co.za/fly-fi...r-special.html

If it ain't the Daiichi 1167 0r 1160, it's a parachute fly on a curved hook...

PT/TB
    I have tied a lot of parachute flies on curved shank hooks and they work just fine. It's not to say that I don't like the Daiichi 1160 and 1167, but you have to remember that we are chasing creatures with the brain the size of a pea. Sometimes they are very picky and "educated," but a small difference in the curve of a hook really isn't that big of a deal.

I like Klinkhamer specials a lot, but in Hans' words I guess I'm tying them and fishing them wrong because i'm modifying just about everything about them. In tying there really isn't right or wrong as long as fish eat.

+ Reply to Thread