+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CDC Sans Elk

Default CDC Sans Elk

The standard CDC & Elk is an all-time favorite fly and usually the first thing I'll try if

A. it's new water that I have no info on
    B. nothing's happening hatch-wise
    C. I really need to get the skunk off and touch a fish
    D. caddis are pouring off the water, or doing their egg-laying thing, and heads are up (duh - the no-brainer choice)

Only problem I have with mine is that once they've cycled through a few fish's mouths the ungulate wing (I actually use deer far more than elk) mats and no amount of false-casting, blotting, blowing, re-floatanting (?) gets it to more than a semi-mat position. Not an issue in daylight, the fly's still pretty visible and remains effective. The problem comes in the late evening, well past dusk, when the hatch I fish most, hydropsyche, can really get going; then finding the fly on the water becomes problematic and I end up striking at any rises in the general vicinity.
    Looking at some of the other flies I use at that time of evening I found Barr's Hi-Viz Rusty Spinner, with it's synth (I use Congo Hair) wing to be the most visible, floatable and effective, so I borrowed that idea and replaced the wing with tan CH.

then took it a step further and added a hot orange Egg yarn indicator

Hook - Dai Riki 305 #16
    Thread - MFC 8/0 sand
    Body - CDC tan
    Wing - Congo Hair tan
    Indicator - Egg Yarn hot orange

Haven't had a chance to fish them yet, but fingers are crossed. A couple strong blows and a shot of Dry Magic floatant re-charges the wing even after it's been chewed on.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Looks cool. Have you tried them on the fish yet?

Bruce,

Not yet; unexpected company has put a crimp in my fishing plans for the early part of this week. If not in the next 2 weeks, I'll take them with me to Alaska and see if grayling will eat them.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

+ Reply to Thread