Thread: Wading Staff

Threaded View

If you purchased your Folstaf new in the last five or more years and bought one still in the package folded up, they mention wax in the instructions and include a small piece of wax with the staff in the package.

From the FAQ on the Folstaf website:

"How can I prevent the joints of my staff from sticking?

Paraffin wax rubbed on the male ends of the mating parts, just every now and then, will banish sticking. You can modulate the amount and frequency of waxing to suit your preference.

You can also purchase small packets of joint lube from:

Rocky Mountain Amblers (#RT12 & #RT34):
    www.rockymountainamblers.com or (303) 793-0719"

(note: the "Joint Lube" is nothing more than a small hunk of wax sold for $ .90)

To extend the life of the shock cords, Folstaf also recommends storing the staff in the extended position (when convenient) to reduce the stretch. Eventually the shock cords will wear out, but I now store mine extended until I get to the stream where I fold it up and put it in the holster until needed.

My advice: Don't leave one folded up or extended for long periods of time in a hot car if possible. The heat is murder on the rubber in the shock cords. If you need to have a folding staff at the ready in a vehicle as a semi-permanent fixture, buy the Simms staff which uses plastic coated steel cable or the Orvis Ripcord staff that uses paracord.

Both are nice products that work well although they aren't quite as sturdy as a Folstaf, don't fold up as small and require TWO hands to deploy however...

...the joints will never stick nor will they pull apart if stuck in the mud or between rocks.
    Last edited by Bamboozle; 07-16-2015 at 02:07 PM.