+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wading Staff

Hybrid View

Default Wading Staff

After the 4th knee surgery, I found out any flowing water higher than mid-shin was going to cause trouble. Thought about buying a collapsable wading staff but heard complaints about breaking them down with sections getting stuck. Also considered a telescoping hiking pole.
    Before I made a decision, my neighbor gave me his Folstaff (he said he doesn't use it because of the sticking issue) to try out on the Madison - first time I used it (worked great by the way; got me to some parts of the river I wouldn't have dreamed of crossing unaided) sure enough I couldn't break it down all the way. Looked around for something to grasp it with (Seal-Dri waders would have been perfect for this; they were certainly useless for pretty much anything else fishing related unless you were looking to sweat off about 15 lbs on an average day); couldn't find anything so decided to tap the offending sections on a rock (plenty of them around) and voila, it separated.
    When I was back at the truck in the evening packing up my gear, I saw another guy with a Folstaff and asked him what he did; he said he tapped it on a rock, too, worked like a charm. I guess as long as one doesn't get too carried away and permanently deforms the tube with excessive force, this is a viable option. I may also cut sections from an old inner tube and throw them in my vest to get a better grip on things.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

You might try putting a couple of pieces of an old rubber mouse pad in your wader pocket. They work great for gripping things like what you were faced with as well as multi-piece rods that don't want to come apart. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

I carry a candle with my gear. Wax the sections every so often. Works great.
    Bob.

After sticking the tip of my wading staff in some rocks on a tough river crossing and having the elastic stretch and sections come apart i got a Simms wading staff. I would just as soon not use one but when i need it I want it to work

I use a Folstaff wading staff. I keep the joints waxed and they still stick I found a good tap on a rock on the tip . Get's the tip lose and the rest come apart with no problem. And I to carry some wax with me for the staff or the rod.

I have the folstaff, I use it all the time. I have a small round cake of ferrule wax I got from Harry Murray and I give the connections a good rubbing. I think it is paraffin, I have seen it in a lot of fly shops under different brands. I have another cake from St croix that came with a rod, orvis has it also. Basically the same as the candle idea above I guess. I rarely have a problem with sticking connections. I have never had a problem with the tip getting stuck in the river and pulling the staff apart, that may be a problem with other brands, I dont know. Frankly, I find the folstaff indispensable.

Recently I read a story by Lefty and he says the metal staffs make enough noise to alert fish, so I have put a layer of black duct tape on the point to see if that dulls the sound. Havent tried that out yet, I doubt if it will hold up, but we'll see.....
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

I don't want to have to unfold or bungee into place my staff. I use an old cross-country ski pole, and attach it to my belt with a heavy duty retractor. It's always at the ready, only cost $12.00 at a flea market, and it came with a spare.

steve

Pillcaster,
    I think folstaff has a tip attachment to muffle the sound. I tried the rubber tips used on canes but was not happy with them. I'll try the tape route. Still another use for duct tape
    it's all good drifts

+ Reply to Thread