I've run a series of different wading staffs with about in my fly fishing time, all of them having some good and bad features. Admittedly my wading these days is in much shallower waters, I try and "think" knee deep water! So for the past fifteen years (at least), my best wading staff has been a straight length of cedar (that I cut myself), maybe mid-chest high. The cedar is light and strong, and I've drilled a hole through maybe 10" from the top where I've run a piece of looped bungee cord through so it can attach to my wading belt.

Where I wade most is in rocky streams where the rocks are not only an obstacle course but many have a slick moss covering. Still have a metal collapsible staff (forgot what brand name), that I've used in the past, and what I don't like about it (beside being too short), is the metallic sounds it makes while picking my way around about the rocks. Now if I can hear the sound OUTSIDE of the water, I'm sure it really travels underwater. I can just hear the trout calling out ..."he's back!" ~
Anyway, the cedar staff is (#1) - very economical. (#2) - strong and durable. (#3) - doubles as a walking stick while camp side. (#4) it's O.K. for the girls I go with!