Hello again all, I hope that everyone is doing well.

I have a question for everyone. I have been using tapered leaders instead of staight mon for leaders for a while now. I have been thinking of "tying" my own with sections of mono, and was wondering what you all might thinkin of the idea.

Say for example I am wanting a 7.5' (or 90") leader. Sections would be 22", 18", 16", 14", and finally 20" of tippet. I was thinking of using 20 LBS(22"), 15lbs(18"), 10lbs(16"), 8lbs(14"), and then some tippet material that would be about 6lbs in tensile strength (maybe 3X,4X, or 5X.) I am planning on just using basic surgeons knot to make a line to line connection between the sections.

I am thinking of using this technique just for the cost factor. I can get 5 rolls of mono for the price of 4 leaders, and I have enough to make a few hundred just in case I need them.

I don't know how effective these would be, as I am mainly looking for using these for gills, and bass (large, smalls, and whites) I can handle the ugly factor. I am just wanting something that will work somewhat like a tapered leader for turning over flies.

What do you all think?? Might it work??? Am I nuts??? Think someone will give me a winning powerball ticket ... sorry just making sure everyone is still awake!!!

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Sincerely,

Reg

[This message has been edited by RCaillouet3 (edited 17 March 2005).]