Weekly Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Column, July 6 to 13, 2015

We need to take a break from our series to cover some current concerns for our British Columbia fresh water sport fishery. As many of you already know, all Vancouver Island and Gulf Island streams have been closed to fishing, due to the abnormal heat and drought conditions. These same closures could be imposed here on the main land too, if this weather continues; and there is no reason to think it won?t.

We, as an angling community need to be proactive with our resource, and change things up a bit. If we don?t, the government will. So what can we do? Pay attention to the temperature of the water for start. If the water feels overly comfortable when you put a bare foot in it; get a thermometer and take a reading. If the temperature is over 65 F, or 17 C degrees, ?leave the trout alone.? They are already stressed enough; we don?t need to add to it. I know, this is vacation season, and you and the family want to go fishing. I understand that, this is the time of year I take my family fishing too. Below are a few things I am suggesting:

Go heavier on the leader, so you can bring the fish in faster. This way, the ones you release will have a better chance of surviving.

Target alternate species; Bass, Carp, and panfish (crappie, bluegill, pumpkinseed, etc) all thrive in warmer temperatures. Yes, I know they are not rainbow, coho, or steelhead, but they are fish aren?t they? I?ll let you in on, an inside secret; the Canadian records for bass and carp swim in our lower mainland lakes. That?s right; we?ve got one up on Ontario. It was venerable Bill Otway, who turned me on to these two under credited lower mainland species, and I have found them both to be great targets for dry fly fishing.

In this heat, we need to give the Salmonids a break. If you value them; then cut them some slack.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is slow to fair. Summer tactics are the key. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Wooly Bugger, Doc Spratley, Halfback, Micro Leach, Six Pack, Souboo, Pumpkinhead, Damsel Nymph, American Coachman, or Baggy Shrimp. For dry (floating) fly fishing try: Lady McConnell, Big Ugly, Elk Hair Caddis, Griffith Gnat, Irresistible, or Royal Coachman. For kokanee try: Bloodworm, San Juan Worm, Red Spratley, Red Ibis, Double Trude, or small Red Zonker.

Our local bass and panfish waters are good. For bass try: Foam Frog, Poppers, Chernobyl Ant, Stimulator, Adult Damsel, Adult Dragon, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Dragon Nymph, Pumpkinhead, Dolly Whacker, Lefty?s Deceiver, or Clouser?s Deep Minnow. For Panfish try Bloodworm, Chironomid, Micro Leach, Pumpkinhead, Popper, Black Gnat, Trico, Mosquito, or Royal Coachman.

Fishing on our interior lakes is slow to fair. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Big Black, 52 Buick, Dragon Nymph, Halfback, Butler?s Bug, Doc Spratley, Green Spratley, Pumpkinhead, Green Carey, Damsel Nymph, Dragon Nymph, or Baggy Shrimp. For dry fly fishing try: Tom Thumb, Double Hackled Peacock, Elk hair Caddis, Goddard Caddis, Royal Wulff, or Irresistible.

The Thompson River is good for rainbow. Try: Rolled Muddler, Kaufmann Stone, Stimulator, Joe?s Hopper, Tom Thumb, Irresistible, or Elk Hair Caddis.