+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Single Life

Default The Single Life

TSL title pic.jpg

After years of pursuing those things in which I "thought" I needed, I finally got rid of all of my unnecessary drag.......Disk Drag.

For the full Blog article click on the link below:

http://ralphsflybox.blogspot.com/201...ngle-life.html

Agree with you on this.
    Get a few fish on the reel but usually hit as I am reeling in the line.

Rick

HERESY!!! HERETIC!!! You risk being burned at the stake unless you recant!

Every fly fisher KNOWS that in the pursuit of 12 inch trout, one MUST have a reel with a drag system capable of stopping an aircraft carrier, with zero startup inertia, and micrometer-click adjustments calibrated to the milligram.

What are you trying to do, take down an entire marketing industry?
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

Ralph, before a recent trip to Michigan's AuSable, I looked at the reels I might take with me. I realized that my Orvis Battenkill, with a couple of extra spools, had always done right by me. And it sure looks better on a cane rod than a whiz-bang, ultra-large arbor disco dancer. The latter often in highly polished gold finish, too. I'm no luddite. I just enjoy the more traditional, and thus proven, equipment. Cane rod, click pawl reel, recurve bow. Nice.

Chuck

Blog Entries

I have both click pawl (Hardy Princess) reels and disc drag systems. When fishing where I might hook an 18 to 20 in her, I go to a disc drag. I have lost some big fish trying to slow down a big one on pawl reels without the ability to Palm. Palming even has proven to not be smooth enough in some cases. For me, anyway.

I have a Heddon 540 Princess clone. Love it, but it sits on a smaller glass rod and never see’s big water. Great reel, but I always wondered why it was that Hardy didn’t incorporate a palming rim on the Princess, being it’s the largest of their lightweights and really meant for heavier lines?

I agree, you will lose the occasional fish managing line by hand or palming vs an advanced drag system. I just prefer the connection with the fish a bit more. Even with big bass in cover, setting the hook with a popper and playing the fish by hand makes it feel like you’re connected directly to the lip of that bucket-mouth. Especially when they leave the water.

I have one rod, my light salt and steelhead rod, that has a disc drag reel on it. But I’m already eyeing up a suitable replacement. It will probably be replaced by a 6wt glass rod and an Orvis Battenkill IV.

Blog Entries

The Hardy Princess is a pretty light reel. I believe Hardy "caged" it (thus, not allowing true palming) in order to protect the reel from destruction should it be dropped.
    As I said, I use my Princess, and love the "ziiiinnng" when hooking up even with a small fish. But, when fishing to big fish, I go to the security of the disc drag. the "occasional" fish lost would tend to be the best fish of the trip, I think.

I gotcha. Have to use what you're most comfortable with. Gear certainly doesn't define the journey.

+ Reply to Thread