+ Reply to Thread

Thread: St Augustine FL

Default St Augustine FL

Heading down to St Augustine in a week and a half. Was wanting to try to flyfish from the beach and the surrounding area. Don't care what I catch just want to catch something. Any ideas on what set up to bring, what weight rod? Types of flies to use in the area? Anyone interested in trading a trip? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi Crash,
    I have not fished from St. Augustine but you are close enough to the Indian River/Taimiami Trail and with a guide /boat you can get into some very good redfish.
    I know there is a very large public Pier around Daytona. I cannot remember its exact location but it is on the intercoastal waterway and near the Indian River. There is a fly shop ....Orlando Outfitters that can help you with guides and flies. The absolute best trip I/we had was out of Titusville / the Indian River (very close and across from the space center.The fly shop in Titusville is my favorite. We had a wonderful guide from there and I will try to locate his biz card if you are interested. We are hoping to get there in the fall.
    Gerri
    Last edited by gerri; 07-04-2015 at 11:58 PM. Reason: typo

Crash....
    Forgot to tell you that 9ft 8wt or 7wt will be fine and they use straight mono leaders. Clousers, Kwans, crabs should be good but check with the fly shop in Orlando or Titusville. BTW, the Renzetti plant is in Titusville.
    Gerri

Thanks Gerri. Please let me know if you find that biz card.

The fly shop in Titusville has closed. The Fly Fisherman closed years ago and KBB outfitters just closed last month. Orlando Outfitters is a great shop, as is Harry Goodes in Melbourne.

Hi again Crash,
    Our guide out of Titusville is Capt. John Tarr. His service is called Tailhunter Guide Service. Phone# 386-566-9727. We last fished with him about 4 or 5 yrs ago so I hope this contact info still works. The Mosquito Lagoon which is a fantastic and famous fishery is also the Indian River and is best known for redfish and sometimes baby tarpon in the backcountry areas. I enjoyed seeing that part..... the moss in the trees, the birds, the gators and the manatees. Good luck with your trip and I hope you connect with John. He is a very nice guy and a good captain.

Thanks Gerri

+ Reply to Thread