+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Floss properties

Question Floss properties

I
    have been using 4 strand Danville floss for ages but now I'm told that there is a Unifloss single strand that is much less prone to have "fiber strand breaks" while I'm winding. Is this correct?

I have used the Uni for sometime. When I need a thin body that's what I use. For a thicker body I still use Danville. To help lessen the fuzz I wax the floss just a little.

I do the wax thing too. I have all kinds of floss from fly shops and stitch art stores and bee or paraffin tames it well.

I got tired of the frizzes with the floss and started using antron yarn. no more frizz !! but antron does not change color when wet, like the floss does , so you may need to adjust your body colors to suit.

Nope. Only advantage of the single strand stuff is you do not have to separate out the individual strands Danville four strand, which is convenient but hardly revolutionary.

Quote Originally Posted by john52948 View Post
    I got tired of the frizzes with the floss and started using antron yarn. no more frizz !! but antron does not change color when wet, like the floss does , so you may need to adjust your body colors to suit.
    Forgive me for asking a stupid question, what are the benefits of using floss in place of other components? I got rid of my tying stuff when I sold my rods, for health reasons. Now I'm getting back in as my health has drastically improved! I had not previously used floss!
    Kind Regards,
    Charlie1947

Tradition! That's really pretty much it. Very rarely used in contemporary patterns, but quite popular in historical patterns, some oldish steelhead patterns, and soft-hackles.
    Last edited by whatfly; 06-26-2015 at 01:13 AM.

As noted, floss is presently used on a few patterns like a Royal Coachman, some Soft Hackle wets or several classic streamers. Its objective is to provide a smooth shinny fly body.
    Far the opposite from the popular fuzzy bodies but they sure look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    As noted, floss is presently used on a few patterns like a Royal Coachman, some Soft Hackle wets or several classic streamers. Its objective is to provide a smooth shinny fly body.
    Far the opposite from the popular fuzzy bodies but they sure look good.
    Thanks Ray and Whatfly! Now I know! I'll buy some Floss!
    Kind Regards,
    Charlie1947

I sub Uni-Stretch for floss on most of the flies I tie; much easier, for me, to work with.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

+ Reply to Thread