+ Reply to Thread

Thread: YouTube Viewing Problems

Hybrid View

Default YouTube Viewing Problems

In the last month or two, I can't watch any YouTube video for more than a second without it freezing (buffering? Is that the right word?), any time of day or night and at any resolution. I've tried Firefox, Chrome, and Explorer, and I've tried their suggestions and nothing helps. This didn't happen before and it is constant now.

Has anybody else experienced this lately and do you have any suggestions other than the ones YouTube suggests? I've tried to contact them for more help but no response.

Thanks,

Joe

Do you have the same problem with other video sites like Vimeo?

Try contacting your ISP. You pay them for internet connectivity, and the problem may be with them. They can help you reset your modem and diagnose the issue.

If your computer is portable, you could test Youtube from a different access point - either a friend's house or a public hotspot. This would help isolate the problem - computer or ISP.

Have you tried testing your connectivity using the Speedtest website?

You could also test other computers, smartphones or tablets from your house. Do they all have the same problem?

Sorry for the long list of tips as opposed to a solution, but these are problem isolation steps that I would take.

Could also just mean your Flash install is munged up. Try a reinstall/upgrade. Very likely the problem is local to your machine.

Thanks for the tips. It is on my PC. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the Flash Player but it didn't help. YouTube works fine on my iPad. Vimeo has never worked well on Firefox but they say they're working on it and it's not just my computer. Very frustrating having been able to watch tying videos in HD for a long time and now they freeze even in the low resolutions.

Joe

You can use Task Manager to examine your resources via the Performance tab. If you have Sky Cloud active, that process can be killed and that might help you, which can be done from the Details tab by right-clicking on the highlighted process. The Sky Cloud process will restart itself in time.

Regards,
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Billingsley View Post
    Thanks for the tips. It is on my PC. I uninstalled and then reinstalled the Flash Player but it didn't help. YouTube works fine on my iPad. Vimeo has never worked well on Firefox but they say they're working on it and it's not just my computer. Very frustrating having been able to watch tying videos in HD for a long time and now they freeze even in the low resolutions.

Joe
    I had quite a few problems with YouTube earlier this summer, but they seem to have gone away. Chrome browser would freeze or crash. Sometimes I just had to open and close Chrome; sometimes I had to restart my PC. iPad continued working.

You may have tried all these:

turn off hardware acceleration in Chrome Settings->Advanced Settings->System
    turn off extensions in browser
    switch hardware acceleration in Flash Player from enable to disable (or vice versa)
    reinstall Chrome/Firefox/IE

If you've already tried those, then I dunno.
    Last edited by Bruce Norikane; 06-18-2015 at 03:46 PM.

If any of the video's on YouTube were made with Java or FlashPlayer they will NO LONGER work in Chrome. Chrome stopped support for all NPAPI plugins https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6213033 This prevents Java, FlashPlayer, Silverlight and Unity from working. I have a few game sites I use and I had to reload a new version of IE just to play them. They recommend either FireFox or IE11.

They say they'res a workaround but it's AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! and could really screw up your machine.

+ Reply to Thread