+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kingfisher Midge Jaws?

Default Kingfisher Midge Jaws?

I'm considering the purchase of a Dyna-King Kingfisher. This question is for anyone experienced with this model. How small do you tie with the standard jaws? I sometimes get into the 20's and wonder if I should order the vise with midge jaws or stick with standard.

Thanks,
    Will

I have a kingfisher I use as a travel vise and have never felt the need for midge jaws and have tied flies as samll as #28 on it.

mgj

Will,

I have a Dyna King vise, and I went ahead and got the midge jaws when I had it built.

Still haven't used them.

Dyna King isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Why not try it with the standard jaws and see if it will handle what you need? If not, the midge jaws are only a mouse click/phone call away.

That being said, getting the extra jaws will never 'hurt' you. Even if the standard jaws will do the job, it's obvious that the midge jaws are built for a reason. Ups the value of the vise as well, should you ever decide to sell it.

I'm a bit wishy washy this morning, sorry (spent the better part of last evening in conversation with a politician....).

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:d57fe]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:d57fe]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Thanks guys. Guess I'll go with the standard jaws.

The quality and timeliness of the advice on this board never ceases to amaze me. Simply the best online resource... anywhere!

Thanks again,
    Will

Fatman Guest

I've tied down to a 22 with the standard jaws and haven't had a problem. Just remember the jaws will cost you about $39 dollars. Lots of materials for that LOL

Fatman

Not that I want to talk you out of a Dyna King, but if midge jaws are important, you need to take a look at HMH vises. The HMH vise is the best for small flies, IMHO. The midge jaw on an HMH will make a Dyna King look like a saltwater jaw!

I own both an HMH and Dyna King vise...

Thanks again, guys, for all your valuable insight.

If I were primarily interested in tying teeny-tinies, I'd have to agree with Paul about the HMH. But since I'm just looking for a small, modestly-priced vise to put in my travel kit, I think I'll stay with Dyna-King. I have their Supreme and I LOVE it. But that sucker weighs a ton. If the Kingfisher possesses typical Dyna-King quality, it should serve me, and my heirs, quite well.

Best,
    Will

+ Reply to Thread