+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spey Rods and Local Trout

Default Spey Rods and Local Trout

Really nice article Zach!

Rich

Dear Zack, great article. It should clear up some muddy waters mentally for some. For All, Cortland makes a CL Series, 12', 5/6wt, 5pc Spey rod for $199.95. I have one on order to take out West this summer to fish on the Missouri. When I receive it later this week, I will get it lined up and give a report on how it cast and with what lines! As a note, I teach a Spey techniques class for use in Saltwater(9' rods) and also another class of the use of general Spey techniques with a single handed rod. I sometimes use an Orvis, 5', 5wt, one piece rod and demo how to roll cast to 50+ feet using a Switch cast technique! It is a motivator for casters to learn Spey techniques with a single handed rod. Spey techniques are very useful when Trout fishing with our usual rods. Zack has written a great article that should make us all want to learn more about this great sport. Thank you Zach for sharing! Best Fishes, Mike

Zach,

Great article! Good to see you again too, it's been a while. Late last year we had a discussion about light weight (5/6/7) two handers. I finally bit the bullet and got a TFO 6 wgt and picked up an Elkhorn 6wgt for my wife. Both reasonably priced rods that perform very nicely. Lined them both with Airflo Delta lines. Stuck with a floating line since I doubt we'll be throwing tips on a 6 wgt.

I have taken some nice sea run cutthroat and even a 30 inch steelhead on the TFO, though I don't suggest fighting that large a fish on light tackle, too hard on the fish.

For those guys who, like me have a little arthritis in the hands, casting a two handed rod will keep you fishing. If I have to cast a 6 wgt single, I'm only good for a few hours before I need a break. I can cast an 8/9 two hander all day and not be tired. Casting the light weight spey is a dream come true for me.

Thanks again, Zach.

Ron Eagle Elk

+ Reply to Thread