+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: disappointed!

I made my own pedestal at work from some scrap metal.. dang thing ways 10 lbs .... but it was free ..never moves either ..lmao

I just purchased this base for my Danvise last week. What I really like about it is that it fits both my Danvise and my Griffin. It is a heavy, solid, nice looking base. I got in in just a few days after ordering off Ebay. You must tell them that you want it for a Danvise, and they will drill it out, no charge. It will still fit 3/8 vises too!
    [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23816&item=7120127 543:1dfe3]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23816&item=7120127 543[/url:1dfe3]

I am a brute and really pull hard on the vise and have never had a problem with a pedestal. I can't imagine putting enough force to tip one.

Did you see the price on the Danvise [without the extension]? ...pretty good even with shipping.

I mean in the ebay link.

[This message has been edited by ducksterman (edited 15 February 2005).]

Danvise is a great buy, for a rotary vise.

It is the only rotary that can be setup for either right-handed or left-handed fly tying.

The one I play with for my fly tying class, I set use the left-handed jaw attachment but for right-handed tying. In this configuration the small hook adjustment is on the front of the vise (instead of the backside) and the cam lever swings to the backside of the vise (instead of forward). I like this set up better, for initial sizing of the vise jaws when inserting a hook.

~Parnell

"Always following a different drum beat, sometimes it is a rumba, other times a samba!"

Kurt at Peak Vise company drilled out one of the peak vises for me. I know he will do it because for you, because I bought him the "reamer" to do it *G*! Contact him through their website where you will find email address and also telephone company. The Peak pedestal is far sturdier than the Griffin one, which I bought and returned.

Here is the info:
    [url=http://www.peakfishing.com:40234]www.peakfishing.com[/url:40234]

kurt@peakfishing.com

------------------
    Peter F
    www.fishingwithflies.com
    pfrailey@hotmail.com

Parnelli,
    I've done the same thing and I think maybe Al Beatty does too ....at least in his rotary tying DVD I think I see it that way and then in some scenes it is on the opposite side so there must be some separate filming sessions and editing. Actually I had composed an email to Al to see how he got the adjustment screw on the side towards the tyer but I somehow lost the email in the sending and before I bothered to send another I found the left sided holder.

Wonder if Al would comment?

Also are there supposed to be two springs between the jaws? I see a couple of opposing holes behind the adjustment screw that look like maybe a smaller spring should go there....seems to work ok though?????

Bumped

Made it through my first efforts with my Danvise and am starting to grasp the possibilities. Tied on it in front of the class last night with no practice, and Wrangler took aim with it, too. Looks like another sale. Thanks to your suggestions I took it to a local machiner's shop where he reemed my pedestal for the shaft to fit. I can tie both ways, now. Beaty's video helped, although I would have enjoyed seeing one more section on using the different features while actually tying a fly. Thanks, everyone, for encouraging me to stick with it. I'm not so disappointed any longer. JGW

[This message has been edited by white43 (edited 17 February 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread