+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some info and help

Hybrid View

Default Need some info and help

I have a float tube but I am wanting to cover more water than the tube will allow me to cover, also I have almost been run over twice in the past couple of month by boaters who "did not see me". So I am look to get either a kayak or canoe. Any info would be a great help. Which is better to fish out of? Which is more stable? What is the cost difference? I mainly fish warm water lakes but would like to maybe get into some rivers and also some salt water marsh stuff as well. Also what is the best way to transport either (on top of the car or trailer)? Thanks for any info.
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

I have a float tube, pontoon, canoe and kayak. 99% of the time I'm in either the float tube or pontoon.

I know there are a lot of people here who fish from kayaks. I'll let them give you the rundown on that craft.

I have fished from the canoe and I didn't care for it as a solo fishing boat. If there is any wind at all, it's too hard to keep it positioned where you want it. Two anchors or a friend to paddle while you fish would make it more workable.

I'll agree with Jay about the fact that a canoe can be a beast. While I do not have a kayak, I have paddled a few, and they are much easier to control than my canoe.

I own and use a canoe because it can carry more people. I have a housefull of kids (6 at last count), and I've had as many as 4 of them in it with me on several occasions. But it works best when I control the canoe and the kids fish. Keeping a canoe under control can be a full time job, and it's hard enough to use a spinning rod in one, not to mention a fly rod.

As for transport, I would highly recommend that you get something that either fits on top of or inside of your vehicle. If you have to hook up a trailer, worry about being able to back out of a tight spot, and have the extra maintenance associated with more axles, you're just not going to use that watercraft as much as you would if you can just throw it on the roof and be off. But of course, you have to get something light enough that you can lift, so when you shop, pay attention to the weights of the models you're looking at.

My family minivan has a factory roof rack that lets me carry the canoe easily with no modification to the vehicle. I bought some foam pads that grip on the gunwales of my canoe to pad the roof, and I've used those on each of my other vehicles several times. They make similar pads designed for kayaks. I would get some ratchet straps to replace the straps that come with the pads though, commercial ratchet straps are very easy to use and very secure.

car top canoe.jpg
    And wherever the river goes, every living creature that swarms will live, and there will be very many fish. Ezekiel 47:9

The statement that canoes can be a beast is somewhat misleading. Canoes come in many styles and not have the same handling characteristics. I have a solo canoe (an Old Town Discovery 119) and it is easy to control even in a breeze. I also use a Grumman 16' aluminum that if not loaded correctly can be a tremendous pain in the posterior. I suggest you find a local canoe & kayak dealer and find out when their Try Out Day is. This is where they bring a bunch of boats to a local beach and let people try them out. Make sure you tell the folks from the store what you want to do with the canoe so they can steer you towards one that will suit you.

I also have a float tube and have had one close call with a bass boater who was not paying attention. I have considered rigging a flag like used on bicycles to my belly boat like I did when I lived in south Florida on my canoe there to keep from being run over by airboats.

I fished for a long time out of a sit-inside kayak but find the canoe offers much more room.

There is a new class of canoe called hybrids which are like kayaks (narrow enough to use a double-bladed paddle) and open (like a canoe). The seats are mounted low like a kayak for stability and have backs for comfort. My canoe is set up this way and now they are starting to be available like that from the manufacturer. Look up the Old Town Next.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

i know that they have flags you can buy to help boaters see kayaks i don't know why you could not rig one for a float tube. i tend fish no wake lakes most or at least during busy season.
    i fish out of an emotion stealth sit on top kayak on warm water. i have it rigged with an anchor trolley on both sides of the back half of the kayak and use a drift sock( sea anchor) to control the direction the kayak points the direction it drifts and the speed of the drift as i fish down a bank. i occasionally use a small anchor on one of the trolleys. i transport the kayak by sliding it in the back of my Ford Ranger pickup.
    it has been a while but i believe i paid a little over $ 400 on sale for the kayak.
    I recommend you paddle a number of kayaks before you buy . Kayak weight and stability and reasonable paddling speed were all important criteria to me.

I thought about a pontoon but several of the lakes around here do not allow any type of blow ups
    If at first you don't succeed ... Then sky diving may not be the sport for you

I have them all, canoe, float tube and pontoon, and have fished from each one. Unfortunately I have not found any single one that is the answer to every fishing situation. The canoe, with a small electric motor, allows you to cover large bodies of water and, if you are alone, is a good fishing platform if you can anchor it and fish from a fixed position. If you have someone with you that either does not fish or who is willing to take turns with you, they can run the motor or paddle along while you fish. Float tubes are highly easy to maneuver and are great for small bodies of water especially where there are few power boats. On large bodies of water one must limit the area covered unless you have really strong legs. Pontoon boats allow you to use an electric motor and most come with oars. This allows you to cover more water but I have found them somewhat difficult to use for fishing. Controlling them with fins is possible but difficult and there are lots of things on which you can tangle your line while casting. A stripping apron is nice but it is usually in the way when you are trying to land a fish. All of these crafts are less than ideal in a wind. Even a moderate breeze requires constant attention unless you are anchored.
    I'm not certain that this helps you make a decision but those are the pros and cons that I have found in each of these options. I have not used a kayak but the models set up for fishing might be just what you are looking for.
    Tight lines,
    The Chronicler

+ Reply to Thread