+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Damn!!

Hybrid View

Default Damn!!

Hooked my first ever carp today. I was bluegill fishing with my 3wt and I knew I had something pretty big; that little rod has never been bent like that before, I assure you! That little reel never sang like that before either! I thought it might be a big cat until he ran. We made two trips down the lake - 200 yards or so each time - but both times I got him turned; I wanted to get him back to where my phone/camera was! I figure we tussled for 45 minutes or more; every time I thought he was pretty docile and I started thinking about how I was going to land him he'd shake his head like an old dog playing tug with a rope and off we'd go again. I was a little worried about the rod and line but both did their job just fine.

This lake has pretty steep banks with about 6' of rip rap all the way around. I got him to what I figured was the most gradual slope where I hoped I could sit down and get hold of him; he was staying pretty near the surface by then. I figure he was 24" or more, but maybe all fish look bigger when you don't have to prove it, eh?

I think I rushed it a bit; probably should have played him longer. I got hold of the line and was starting to sit down when the leader snapped and off he went. Man I wanted to land that fish! They say if you don't have pictures to prove it it didn't happen, but I ain't lyin', honest!
    Last edited by Prairieschooner; 06-13-2015 at 11:54 PM.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Sounds like fun. What fly were yu using?

Rick

Well after throwing about everything I can think of at them when I'm trying to catch them, this fella took a #10 BH Pheasant tail under a #12 foam hopper!
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I've noticed the best fishing stories are usually about the ones that got away...

now you know what to expect and how to counter it the next time. carp are most likely to get away when you think it is over. it is important to have "soft hands" in order to land the carp and keep the tippet from snapping. head shaking is their favorite weapon for escape

Neat story. Thanks. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread