+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Storage for streamer materials

Default Storage for streamer materials

Any suggestions for hanging streamer materials, flashabou, EP fibers, ect? Have been keeping in drawers but they always seem to get tangled up. Thanks for any ideas or how you keep them.

Many thanks

Plano boxes or their equivalent versions from Bass Pro etc... I use the ones with 4 rows to be divided into compartments. I don't use the dividers but leave the 4 rows open. With the dividers inserted, they are good for keeping spooled materials etc... These boxes usually either shallow or "deep dish". Select the ones which work best for you.

Regards,
    Ed

There are also small wooden stands and rotating dispensers available from some fly materials shops, much like having a small Lazy Susan device on your work table. These things allow you to vertically hang those long flash materials out of the way for easy untangled access to them. They not only take up table top room, but leave your materials open to the room environment, dust, the cat, etc.
    I personally store all my materials separated into RubberMade containers much like mentioned above and store them out of the way until they are required when tying certain patterns. I personally don't like a cluttered work bench.
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

I use pegboard.The fly shops hang their's so why not us too.

Keep them in their original sleeves.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

Somebody used to make clear plastic tubes, about 1/2" diam and 10" long, with red end caps. Perfect for flash, legs, etc, because you could insert them in one end and shake them out the other. I bought a bunch at Sportsmen's Warehouse, but don't know if they're still made. Probably not hard to make them yourself if you could find the materials.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by idlerick View Post
    Somebody used to make clear plastic tubes, about 1/2" diam and 10" long, with red end caps. Perfect for flash, legs, etc, because you could insert them in one end and shake them out the other. I bought a bunch at Sportsmen's Warehouse, but don't know if they're still made. Probably not hard to make them yourself if you could find the materials.
    You can buy those tubes at Tap Plastics.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by jszymczyk View Post
    Keep them in their original sleeves.
    I found this to work best for me. I then store The sleeves in a plastic style shoebox with similar materials for easy of locating.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

You can also use the clear plastic hose material found at Lowes or Home Depot. Cut it to the length you want and make a slit up the length of it. You can then grasp the material you want to store at the midpoint (usually where the plastic slip tie is) and slide it inside the plastic hose. I've been storing it this way for the past 15 years and it works great.

Jim Smith

+ Reply to Thread