+ Reply to Thread

Thread: zonker strip cutter

Default zonker strip cutter

I seen one in a magazine.. but it was a very old one...

do they still make them and if so where is a good place to get it?? and price...

The Article was from an "OLD" Fly tyer- "80's". They used a ruler to separate the single edge razor blades- made one that works great. I've also making one where the blades are separated by popsicle sticks to get an even thinner cut. I can cut easily with the grain or across it. Email me next week and I see if I can find the article.

Hey Leonard,

It's easy to make one (adjustable too). Pick up a couple packages of utility (single edged) blades...you know...like the old fashioned razor blades with the hole through the center. You'll need an appropriately sized long bolt (3") and number of washers and a fitting nut.

Simply slide a blade on the bolt...add a couple washers (you choose thickness)...another blade...more washers...blade...washers...blade...washers...blad e then the nut. I think you see where this is going. You can fashion a handle for the rig out of wood or metal if you're industrious. Works great!!!

Henry

Henry,

I tried to make such a tool...it was probably you in a previous thread where I saw it. I ran into problems...

...the single edged blades rode at a tilt and were unstable because of the thicker nonbladed side....I was using large washers that covered the whole blade and only exposed a corner of the blade....I was doing that to control the depth of the exposed blade so it wouldn't cut completely through the hide....see a recent thread...

...blades I had on hand and new blades I bought had only a tiny center hole...

Do you suspend your hides so you don't cut through hair?

There is a thread about double edged razor blades that I started...and one more recent on how to protect the rabbit hair....I think both have good info related to this topic.

How about a picture of your tool....

You know I can understand tring to cut up a hide if you have it and do not want to buy one. But if you are just going to buy one and try to cut it yourself I would suggest just you buy a half a hide already cut. It is a lot less trouble and should cost you about 6 bucks is all. I gave up cutting my own and I tie for a living. Just to big a pain in the butt. Ron

PS: Wapsi has them and your local shop can order them for you from them.

thanks guys for your replies...

But I have order a pine squirrel.. I dont know if its going to come in strips or whole... I was just wanted to know if it would be possible to be able to cut it if need be

I'm thinking Ron is absolutely right...but I would like to just see if I could do it...another reason is that for my tastes most of the strips I think are too wide and heavy so I wanted to cut smaller ones....having said that though ...FYI... I have found that the strips by Metz are thinner and the hide not as thick....at least the ones I found in the store....maybe it was a particular run.

I saw on the net that someone still sells them but cannot remember who it was.later Matt if I find it I'll post it .

------------------
    To each there own !

Cabela's sells some allready cut in a few colors
    [url=http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jhtml?id=cat20544&navAction=jump&navCount= 1&parentId=cat20431&parentType=category&cmCat=Main Catcat20431:0c15d]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jhtml?id=cat20544&navAction=jump&navCount= 1&parentId=cat20431&parentType=category&cmCat=Main Catcat20431[/url:0c15d]

+ Reply to Thread