+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel to balance BVK 9' 5wt?

Default Reel to balance BVK 9' 5wt?

I'm looking for recomendations on a reel to balance a 9' 5wt TFO BVK?
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

I would say a TFO BVK reel would be just the ticket.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Yeah, I'm gonna need to find that on clearance too Brad! But... can't believe I didn't think of that.
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

I have fished that rod with both a Lamson Guru and an Orvis Battenkill Barstock (the recently discontinued version with disc drag) and I liked both. The Orvis is among the lightest reels I've seen in its various sizes, and makes a nice match with the very light BVK rod. You might be able to find a good price on one of those used or if a shop still has one in stock somewhere. There are plenty of good options for that rod I'm sure, but I would encourage something at least semi-light in weight.

I love those old model BBS's; I have several. Good buys on them on ebay now and then.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I use a Lamson Konic II on mine. Its a great combo. Also check out the Allen line of reels.
    http://www.allenflyfishing.com/reels/
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I use a Lamson Litespeed 3 on my BVK 5 wt. I've caught quite a few 20"+ fish with this combo. Great drag, and with the larger sized reel it's even smoother that the #2 size you would normal pair a 5wt with.
    Last edited by rizeye; 06-08-2015 at 06:06 PM.

The TFO HSR reel is lighter than the BVK and so is the Redington Drift. Our customers have liked both with the BVK as well as Orvis Access II. I use the BVK 5 wt I the salt and use an old original Teton 6 reel.

Thanks for the responses. Lighter kinda scares me. I'm worried about getting one too light. I bought a TFO Prism for my TFO L.K. Pro Series II 4 wt because It was lighter than other options. It did not balance the rod very well. I have rod/reel combos that balance at the index finger withe a little line out and have found that I am much happier with the way they cast.

with lighter reels just buy a bigger size. That's why I use a size 3 Lamson.

+ Reply to Thread