+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Argentina

Default Argentina

A friend and I have been invited on a fly fishing trip to Argentina. Have any of you had the opportunity to fly fish there ? I am open to any suggestions to what we should bring. Clothing flies etc. Thanks

Blog Entries

I have been a few times to the Patagonia side of Southern Chile.
    Where are you going and when?
    I have always gone in January when the weather is "usually" pretty good. It can still get cold some times even then.
    Probably want at least a 6 weight although it all depends on where you go.

I'm Argentinien and flyfish here the last 40 years. Where are you going exactly, sagellbean?
    R.

Do you need another friend?

If you have to take a domestic flight within Argentina, be advised that you must check your rods as baggage. You will not be allowed to hand carry them on the plane. Carrying flies on board can be a hit or miss proposition.

Also I have had more windy days than not. Sometimes extremely windy. If you can't cast in the wind then learn how before you spend your time and money for such trip. One day on a float trip the up-stream wind was so strong that the guides could not row downstream against it in a fast current. Another day the wind was blowing a floating line off the surface of the river, and I switched to a T-14 head and a sculpin pattern with great success.

Gear-wise most anything you would need for fishing in the west would be good down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketfish View Post
    I'm Argentinien and flyfish here the last 40 years. Where are you going exactly, sagellbean?
    R.
    We will be fishing Malleo ,Chimeuin , Caleufu , float on the Alumine. Thanks for everyone replies. I will take all the info I can get. Preparation is key. Thanks you all can call me Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cramer View Post
    If you have to take a domestic flight within Argentina, be advised that you must check your rods as baggage. You will not be allowed to hand carry them on the plane. Carrying flies on board can be a hit or miss proposition.

Also I have had more windy days than not. Sometimes extremely windy. If you can't cast in the wind then learn how before you spend your time and money for such trip. One day on a float trip the up-stream wind was so strong that the guides could not row downstream against it in a fast current. Another day the wind was blowing a floating line off the surface of the river, and I switched to a T-14 head and a sculpin pattern with great success.

Gear-wise most anything you would need for fishing in the west would be good down there.
    Thanks for the info. I have fished under some pretty wild windy circumstances fly fishing here in the Black Hills of South Dakota. I will take your advice and practice. I will use my 4wt bamboo for most of the trip but have a 7 wt Sage for those difficult days to go subsurface if I have have to. I would really prefer dry but will adapt as needed. Thanks Dave

We will be there end of February 1st week of March. Will have a 4wt bamboo and 7 wt Sage. Thinking about buying a 5wt . Thanks for your reply Dave (Sagelllbean)

Sounds like you're well-armed, unless you just want a 5 wt.

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    Sounds like you're well-armed, unless you just want a 5 wt.
    Haha never enough rods. Just want to make sure I have all my bases covered.

+ Reply to Thread