+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you use your rotary vise?

Default How do you use your rotary vise?

How do those of you who own a rotary vise use the rotary feature? What types of things are more easily done with the rotary vise? What things could not be done without the rotary feature? Any real cool things? Do you half-hitch before using the rotary feature? Even though I just started fly tying recently, I ended up with two vises, a Danvise and a Griffin Superior 2A. I bought the Danvise first, but I couldn't pass up the Griffin for the price (it had been sitting on the shelf for a while). So far, I haven't been able to find anything about how to use the rotary feature on any rotary vise, Danvise or otherwise, so I ordered a DVD from Al Beatty (Rotary Tying Techniques). It seems that if I'm not going to use the rotary feature, I'd be better off with the simplicity of the Griffin. I'm thinking I might even sell the Danvise, but I'd like to know more about how I might benefit from using a rotary vise before doing something rash like putting it on Ebay.

Rochester, I have a Dan vise and now I wonder how I ever got along without it.

As far as why I use the rotary, it would be for all the activites I was previously doing without the rotary feature, they are just a whole lot easier now.

I use it for head cementing, palmering, tying in beards or throats, and just plain getting a better look at the fly. As well as reasons I can't right now remember, I am sure.

Some say it makes no differance and they are right when they say you can tie any fly without it. I do believe it makes tying a whole lot easier.

As far as the quality of my flies, I do find that my palmered flies have nicly spaced hackle wraps more so than before.

I would say keep the Dan vise. But thats just me . -Yaf
    A warm summers rain falls down on a quiet fishing stream
    Lined with cabins, smoke straight to the sky
    Two ol fishin buddies with never a care
    Teasing a trout with a fly.
    (Simani, "This Isle of Mine")

I just got a Renzetti Traveler, and like Yaffle I wonder how I got along without it.

For me it It makes some flys a heck of a lot easyer and faster.
    Tinsle goes on much easyer, lead goes on like a snap and so on and so on.

Ryan.

Love my Renzetti .As for tinsel .. goes on smoother .. ribbing you can se if its spaced properly.. wrapping chenielle is 10 times faster for buggers ... love my Renzzeti and yes ... dont know how i did without for so long ..

lol JC .. forgot that too...

When I lay down an initial thread base, I don't use the rotary feature. For virtually any other task where material is *wound* I use the rotary feature almost exclusively. Just is easier and usually more even application once you get the hang of it.

Jim

I had problems in the past with Uni's floss coming apart parallel to the floss as I wound it on traditional style. This weekend past while putting together some floss bodied Hornbergs I tried using the rotary (on a Renzetti Traveller) and the floss wrapped on perfectly.

I kind of sighed and said to myself, I guess that's what the rotary is for.

(Use if for chenille, lead and thread already. Don't know why it never occurred to me that "rotarying" on the floss would cure the splitting problem. Does though )

...Glenn

Rochester,

I'll add to all the others.

Don't know how I did without it.

Easier, faster, neater.

Still finding things that it makes work better.

I half hitch when using straight eyed hooks. Don't need to for TDE or TUE hooks. It's become second nature.

By the way, if you get a chance check out A.K. Best's book about production tying techniques. He explains how and why to use a bench mounted bobbin cradle, rather than the one that mounts on the vise stem. Another little 'improvement' that makes rotary tying more efficient.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:57d9d]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:57d9d]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Please do a search on "rotary vise" on FAOL under "Fly Tying" for a lot of information.

I avoided getting a rotary vise for quite awhile, feeling that rotary tying was way overblown. Now that I own a Dynaking Baracudda, I realize fully how right I was.
    Eric

+ Reply to Thread