+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Casting class to Elementary students

Hybrid View

Default Fly Casting class to Elementary students

A few years back I read about teaching fly casting to school students. Can someone help me out with finding the thread or link to this? Next year I will be working with TU and doing the Trout in the Classroom program with my 5th graders. Teaching fly tying and casting would be a cool add on. Thanks for your help!

Doug

Are you going to demo or actually try to teach casting?
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Hi,
    a few years ago, actually about 12yrs ago, I participated in a Federation of Flyfishers day camp that was held in our area (mid-Atlantic). It was a great experience geared to 11 ad 12 year olds.The morning began with discussion on entomology (very very basic stuff/ terrestials and some aquatic insects) and moved on to basic flytying with instructors demo and class participation. We broke for a light lunch and then moved on to knot tying and finally casting with the remaining part of the afternoon fishing the pond where the function was held. The guide book which was provided to each student and each instructor, was written by one of the chapter members, was very well done and kept in mind the attention spans and concentration levels, coordination and fine motor control skills of the target group. Flies selected for instruction were very simple and basic. Keeping in mind the age group, I would be careful about trying to accomplish too much in a short period of time. The class was limited to 12 students and each had to be accompanied by an adult in order for each kid to have assistance when needed. All materials and equipment were provided, lunch was also provided and each participant received a small gift box of flies. There was a LOT of work involved from a lot of people but the end result was well worth the effort. Both of my granddaughters still talk about what a fun day it was. Hope this info is helpful in planning your event.
    Gerri

Start with a 25' Roll Cast, then move to a simple pickup and laydown. Focus on accuracy - give them targets. hula hoops or something similar. (Velcro "hooks" and cloth fish work great on the lawn.) Obviously, roll casts are easier and targets are harder to set up on water. If you're working on lawns keep that in mind and adjust as needed to make it fun and interesting.

Avoid false casts.

Have as many instructors as possible.

Keep the lessons short - 15-20 minutes should be good. Longer than that and kids can get adventurous........

Stop and move on to something else any time is stops being fun!

Cliff

I learned from this group, and use their curriculum to teach high school students.

http://www.fishinginschools.org

Mike
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread